Book Cover

Discussion in 'Competitions, Themes & Blogs' started by Pete Askew, Feb 7, 2016.

1. Pete Askew

Pete Askew Admin

I've been thinking of a new theme for us to get our teeth into. Something to help brush away the winter blues and to get us thinking creatively (I for one could do with a bit of inspiration). And, I thought the idea of an image that could be used for the cover of a book, or maybe an illustration within a book. I had been toying with the idea of a fictional novel - ie, one that does not exist (and I have a few ideas for the blurb on the back). Another idea is to go with an existing novel (and I do think it needs to be a work of fiction - no 'History of the Scottish Lute' I'm afraid! ;) ) and maybe a classic. Two that spring to mind are Alice in Wonderland (probably overdone) and Treasure Island (I'm very keen on the edition illustrated by Ralph Steadman - plenty of potential darkness there - maybe an alternative version with a heroine). We want something that could either be abstract, a scene or something that includes people (especially for you @Asun Olivan!). So, what do we think?

2. Rob MacKillop

Rob MacKillop Edinburgh Correspondent

Damn, I've got 500 photos just waiting for a history of the Scottish lute!

I'll give it some thought, Pete. Having no imagination to speak of, I'd opt for a book that already exists. Can we choose our own book? L'Etranger by Camus just popped into my head.

Martin Carlin likes this.
  3. Pete Askew

Pete Askew Admin

I was wondered about that (choosing your own and not L'√Čtranger!) but then Asun said she's love to take part but only if I provided a title! Any other thoughts?

4. Rob MacKillop

Well, I've just seen the last episode of the new BBC production of War & Peace, but that might be a little heavy :eek::D

So far we have:

Alice in Wonderland
    Treasure Island
    The Outsider

Once we have ten you could create a Poll....perhaps.

Pete Askew likes this.
  5. Pete Askew

Pete Askew Admin

Ok, then let's chuck The Shipping News and Something Wicked This Way Comes into the mix.

6. Rob MacKillop

Pete, it has just dawned on me that Asun wants you to make up a title - I misread you.

Well, don't hang around, Man, make one up! ;-)

7. Martin Carlin

Martin Carlin Active Member

Sounds good be interesting to see what you pick Pete. Would go for something Dickensian perhaps

8. Pete Askew

Pete Askew Admin

Now that's an idea. Thanks, Martin.

9. Ivar D. Larsen

Ivar D. Larsen Well-Known Member

I think that it's a great idea. How about ; Gone with the wind? :rolleyes: Honestly, quite open to a lot of interpretations right? Or some imaginary books, not written yet; " What happened to the horns of the Vikings, or were there any?" " Hoodlums of the Cornish coast," could be another? Or to be more sincere. Todays migration and its influence on Europe! ( Not a book written yet, but it is sure to come ). Well here I go again.

Rob MacKillop likes this.
  10. Brian Moore

Brian Moore Moderator

Great book that, but it's thesis is off point. :)

11. Brian Moore

Brian Moore Moderator

12. Ivar D. Larsen

Ivar D. Larsen Well-Known Member

Only Americans do that, I hear Donald is hitching a ride, hopefully. A title of another one maybe; " No Return!"

13. Martin Carlin

The old Curiosity shop

Pete Askew likes this.
  14. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Active Member

Interesting, I shoot images for possible CD covers and have done so for I guess 40 years although initially for Record/Tape covers. I've also been involved in the complete design of a variety of publications, books, flyer, calendars, posters etc.

Ian

15. Pete Askew

Pete Askew Admin

So, I take it you're in then, Ian! ;)

16. Pete Askew

Pete Askew Admin

17. Pete Askew

Pete Askew Admin

OK, despite my original reservations, and after talking with Asun, I am going to propose Alice in Wonderland / Through the Looking Glass. It is a pretty overdone subject but maybe like the Calla theme we should aim for a different approach. So, I will create a prefix called Alice and, the quote another literary figure, the game is afoot!

18. Rob MacKillop

Hmmm....wondering...I need a drink...

Pete Askew likes this.
  19. Pete Askew

Pete Askew Admin

You shouldn't drink on an empty stomach, Rob! ;)

Rob MacKillop likes this.
  20. Martin Carlin

So what do we have to do here then Pete. Im Presuming we think of a picture that will relate somehow to Alice in Wonderland and what post it here