burn. Magazine: Emerging Photographer Fund 2012

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Chris Dodkin, Jun 30, 2012.

1. Chris Dodkin

Chris Dodkin West Coast Correspondent

burn. magazine runs a competition to fund emerging photographers - $10,000 to one photographer, and two smaller grants of $2500 each.

[​IMG]
    Alejandro Chaskielberg, EPF winner 2009

This years 10 finalists are featured on this excellent showreel of their work - worth taking a few minutes to review.

Emerging Photographer Fund 2012 – the winners | burn magazine

burn is an evolving journal for emerging photographers.

burn is curated by magnum photographer david alan harvey.
  2. Hamish Gill

Hamish Gill Administrator

There is some stunning stuff in that show reel!!
  3. Paul Lange

Paul Lange Moderator

I agree and I can see why the image above won in 2009. Am I right in thinking it was done with a TS lens if not selectively blurred PP.

Although the photographs are wonderful I found myself getting a bit annoyed the more I saw of the show. There is a lot wrong in this world and it is a worthwhile endeavour to educate people. I do have a slight problem when it is made portrayed in an overly beautified way for enjoyment out of context. It seemed too many of the images were this way inclined. I tend to see it as capitalising on other peoples truma and tribulations.
  4. Chris Dodkin

Chris Dodkin West Coast Correspondent

I think it's good that the images provoke an emotional reaction - to me, that's the point
  5. Brian Moore

Brian Moore Moderator

Wonderful images. I read Paul's comment before viewing them. Even so, they didn't strike me as exploitative.