Cetus rally stages - A mix

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Dave Green, May 12, 2012.

1. Dave Green

Dave Green Well-Known Member

A mix of shots from today's Cetus stages rally at Three Sisters Race Circuit.

1. Citroen C2 (133/366)

[​IMG]

2. Subaru Imprezza 1

[​IMG]

3. Subaru Impreza 2

[​IMG]

4. Mitsubishi Evo 6

[​IMG]

5. Talbot Sunbeam

[​IMG]

6. Renault Clio

[​IMG]

2. Chris Dodkin

Chris Dodkin West Coast Correspondent

Get that rear wheel airborne! :D

Great action shot of the C2 - loving the energy pent up in the suspension of the car as it turns in, and also the speed blurred backdrop.

Looks like you picked a good location for the panning shots as well - which lens were you using?

3. Dave Green

Thanks Chris :)

I used the Nikon 70-300mm F4-5.6 VR.

My main problem was sensor dust! Panning at 1/80 - 1/125 in bright sunlight resulted in apertures is F/22 and smaller! So every speck of dust was there and needed cloning out! Lesson for next time - take polariser and knock a few stops off!

4. Chris Dodkin

Chris Dodkin West Coast Correspondent

Dave - the f stop and the blurred background would make 'em all stand out like a sore thumb I bet!

Same deal with some of the long low light exposures I do.

Good idea on the polarizer - 1.5 to 2 stops there for sure

Might be worth a 3 or 6 stop ND if the CPL isn't enough!

Were you using a panning mode on the VR lens?

5. Dave Green

VR was in Normal - seemed to work ok.

6. Alastair Cummins

Alastair Cummins New Member

Great set of pictures! Got to love the C2 (known as the flying fridge!) cocking a wheel, while it looks the scooby in number 3 needs a pot of T-cut and a very large hammer! ;)

7. Pete Sykes

Pete Sykes New Member

That first shot has it all Dave. "Top Shot"

Pete

8. Dave Green

Ta :)

9. Hamish Gill

Hamish Gill Well-Known Member

That first shot is brilliantly timed!
    Was it you who said they didn't use vr the other week?
    How did you find it?

10. Dave Green

VR was in normal mode for these but I often turn it off for panning. People sometimes for get that sharp photos did exist before the days of VR. It makes me laugh when I see VR on compacts and short focal length lenses - just learn how to hold a camera properly! LOL!

11. Hamish Gill

Hamish Gill Well-Known Member

What gets me is that camera manufactures set compact cameras up so that in auto indoors the shutter will drop to 1/25th but then seem to claim that this is ok as the camera has vr ...
    I have a Sony tx5 that does this ... It's infuriating! Ok my shots of still things are sharp ... Just everyones face is slightly blured
    To get around this i am supposed to use "night portrait" mode or whatnot ...
    The camera has face detection FFS ... Surly if it's that clever it can realise that 1/25 is not sencible based on the fact it has detected a face ...
    You have got me started on compact digital cameras ... I can't stand the things!
    You just so rarely get te feeling that they have been designed by people who understand photography!