Everything you need to know about street photography - Thomas Leuthard

Discussion in 'Equipment & Media' started by Chris Dodkin, Apr 13, 2012.

1. Chris Dodkin

Chris Dodkin West Coast Correspondent

I know there are a few folks on here, who like me, are interested in, or are actually busy shooting, street photography.

[​IMG]

In my searching of the InterWebs, I came across a fantastic FREE resource - 3 free e-books on street photography, by Thomas Leuthard.

85mm Street Photography

Now these aren't a few hastily flung together thoughts on the subject - these are detailed, well written, example filled 'how to' books.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Fantastic information, ideas, approach, examples, excuses, answers - the whole enchilada.

And if you like the e-books, check out his blog as well: 500px / Thomas Leuthard / Photos

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 13, 2012
  2. Rob MacKillop

Rob MacKillop Edinburgh Correspondent

Thanks for the links - wonderful shots and tips. I can't imagine doing that type of photography, but I'm glad some people do.

3. Pete Askew

Pete Askew Admin

What a great find Chris. Thanks for posting the links. I will enjoy these I can tell. :)

4. Kev Pugh

Kev Pugh Well-Known Member

A great find Chris, thanks for stopping me from doing what I had planned to do today...:D looks like I may have to print these downloads off for some later reading.....:)

5. Chris Dodkin

Here's the man in action - interesting technique, and balls o' steel!

[video=youtube;eU8VU4Cdm0g]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eU8VU4Cdm0g[/video]

6. Chris Dodkin

And a 2nd look at that technique

[video=youtube;XcAk07X2yiU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcAk07X2yiU[/video]

7. Chris Dodkin

And the 'asked portraits' method

[video=youtube;-c3b5zSahFg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-c3b5zSahFg[/video]

8. Chris Dodkin

9. alfie Wright

alfie Wright Member

Wow! Thanks for the links. This sort of stuff interests me, not sure I've the balls for it though.

I've Just downloaded the ebooks & had a quick flick through them & the images are stunning. There's lots of interesting tips too. I'll look forward to a proper read of these later! :) Gotta love his technique!

10. Josh Daugherty

Josh Daugherty New Member

Wow! Great stuff! Thanks, Chris!

11. Josh Daugherty

Josh Daugherty New Member

Question: his blacks are so black. How does he achieve that? Is that in the processing or in the camera?

12. Pete Askew

Pete Askew Admin

I guess he gets his exposures pretty close to start with and then chooses a process that simulates a high grade print. How are you processing?

13. Chris Dodkin

In one of the E-Books he goes into his post processing a little - he does tweak the contrast and make sure the background blacks are black - and also adds a vignette at times to help focus the image on the subject.

14. Chris Bennett

Chris Bennett Active Member

Just to breath a little life into an old thread:
    The link pointing to the ebooks in the OP seems to be dead but I tracked down their new locations.
    Thanks. A great read!

Going Candid

Collecting Souls

Street Faces

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
    Rense Haveman likes this.