Critique Welcomed Flying Buttresses

Discussion in 'Landscape and Architecture' started by Brian Moore, Oct 23, 2019.

1. Brian Moore

Brian Moore Moderator

Several of the 24 flying buttresses that support the great concrete domed roof (said to be the world's largest) of the Norfolk Scope Arena, in Norfolk, Virginia.

Sony a7R with Olympus OM 28/3.5.

[​IMG]

2. Rob MacKillop

Rob MacKillop Edinburgh Correspondent

They do look like strong legs with concrete shoes. Solid! Solid work too with the A7R, Brian.

Brian Moore likes this.
  3. Brian Moore

Brian Moore Moderator

Thanks Rob. Much appreciated.

4. Dave Farnes

Dave Farnes Well-Known Member

An imposing piece of architecture. A fine shot, love the colours.

Brian Moore likes this.
  5. Chris Bennett

Chris Bennett Well-Known Member

I find that fascinating - the way the struts of the buttresses are shaped (tapered from both ends towards the middle, but on different planes, almost like they are stretched) gives me the impression that they are holding the dome down, rather than propping it up.
    Great image though!

Brian Moore likes this.
  6. Brian Moore

Brian Moore Moderator

Thanks Dave. Much appreciated.

7. Brian Moore

Brian Moore Moderator

Thanks a lot, Chris. I never noticed that tapering until you mentioned it. Much appreciated. Here's another image of the building,...just to prove your theory that if the flying buttresses weren't holding it down it would become a flying saucer. :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

8. Chris Bennett

Chris Bennett Well-Known Member

Ah yes, that settles it!

9. Pete Askew

Pete Askew Admin

I had the exact same impression, that the buttresses were holding it down (flying saucer, eh - now who could that belong to! ;) ). I love the colours and composition in the first. I like the way the forms of the building are reflected in the lamps.