Giant Spider

Discussion in 'Animals and Wildlife' started by John Holland, Nov 2, 2017.

1. John Holland

John Holland Well-Known Member

While walking along one of the paths in the hills around Taipei, Taiwan I came across a very large spider. The span of the legs was greater than my hand with fingers spread out -- a very BIG spider. It was just finishing its meal.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Notice the small baby (???) spiders crawling around.

I was asked by a passerby if it was a poisonous spider. My answer was anything that big I was treating a very poisonous, and was not about to verify. It was poisonous (i.e. deadly) to whatever was caught in the web.
    FYI, it is a Giant Golden Orb Weaver (also known as a Taiwan Giant Wood Spider, or a Face Spider)

2. Dave Farnes

Dave Farnes Well-Known Member

I am one of those weird people who like spiders! They are a great pair of images, you have captured the details of both the spider and the web very well.

3. Roshni Patel

Roshni Patel Active Member

I love the detailing which is part of this image. I wish if I could do the same as I tried but didn't get the shot properly.

4. Pete Askew

Pete Askew Admin

What a wonderful beast. I especially like the second shot with multi-coloured babies.

5. Ivar D. Larsen

Ivar D. Larsen Well-Known Member

I have been told that the bigger they are, the less dangerous they are. Do try the next time John:rolleyes:, so we know for sure. Great samples and wonderfully done.

6. John Holland

John Holland Well-Known Member

Thank you folks for your comments. Ivar, I'll leave the "spider testing" to others better qualified.

7. Raza Shaikh

Raza Shaikh Active Member

Great Pictures! Loved the second shot.