Giraffes Two Ways

Discussion in 'Develop, Process and Print' started by Rob MacKillop, Nov 19, 2017.

1. Rob MacKillop

Rob MacKillop Edinburgh Correspondent

Trying out different software. Fuji X-T20, 16-50 XC lens.

1. ON1 Photo Raw. Basically it has a bunch of filters on one side of the image, and a bunch of slider controls for exposure, masking, and a lot more, on the other side. Opens Fuji RAF files. Could do with some sharpening - it is an available option, but I can't trust my foggy eye these days.

giraffes_ON1.jpg

2. As Lightroom doesn't open RAF files, I used Iridient X Transformer to create DNG files, then went into LR. From there I went to Silver Effex 2 for a b/w filter. Look closely, and you'll see watermarks for Iridient X Transformer - you can remove them when you buy the product.

Giraffes IXT and LR and SEP2.jpg

2. Dave Farnes

Dave Farnes Well-Known Member

That is an interesting compare and contrast. Yes, the first one does need a bit if sharpen on it, but the natural tones give it a warm feel. The b&w version shows the wood grain and textures best, but looses the warmth. - Swings and roundabouts.

Rob MacKillop likes this.
  3. Rob MacKillop

I've just downloaded Iridient Developer, which looks amazing. Very impressed with it.

leaves IridDev.jpg

4. Rob MacKillop

Tis ever thus, Dave, swings and roundabouts.

Dave Farnes likes this.
  5. Rob MacKillop

I bought Iridient Developer.

greencrop.jpg

6. Pete Askew

Pete Askew Admin

An interesting comparison. Glad to see you're getting into and seem to be enjoying yourself.

7. Pete Askew

Pete Askew Admin

Isn't Giraffe 2 Ways a recipe?! ;)