Critique Welcomed Introduction By Way Of A Few Bird Images ...

Discussion in 'Animals and Wildlife' started by Keith Hollister, Nov 5, 2013.

1. Keith Hollister

Keith Hollister Active Member

New member here, so I thought I would throw up a few examples of my bird photography as a visual introduction.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Rob MacKillop

Rob MacKillop Edinburgh Correspondent

Welcome, Keith! A nice way to introduce yourself - some really fantastic shots there. Love the mid-air squabble. The first has real character. So, is bird photography your specialty?

3. Rob MacKillop

Rob MacKillop Edinburgh Correspondent

Ah, I've just seen the link to your website. Love the b&w!

4. Keith Hollister

Lately it seems to be, but I am trying to get back to other genres. I felt like I was getting into a rut by photographing birds because I was comfortable with the subject and technique - it was getting a little boring.

Thanks for the kudos.

5. Dave Green

Dave Green Well-Known Member

Lovely shots - the aerial is a beauty!

6. Brian Moore

Brian Moore Moderator

Wonderful Keith. Like the others I love that mid-air squabble, as Rob calls it. But I find #3 to be very interesting indeed. Perhaps its the angle. Anyway, welcome to RPF, Keith.

What part of the world do you inhabit?

7. Pete Askew

Pete Askew Admin

And what a wonderful introduction it is! Welcome to RPF Keith. :)

8. Keith Hollister

Thanks, guys.

Brian - I'm in the Orlando, FL area in the US. I like the Wood Stork image due to the unusual angle (at least for most bird photography) and the light.

9. Brian Moore

Brian Moore Moderator

Thanks Keith. I visited your website a moment ago. Excellent stuff there! Also, enjoyed reading your blog articles about the GX7 and the RX100. (I think @Pete Askew is not a great fan of the RX100, too, although that was a while back so maybe it has grown on him since then. [Sorry Pete if I'm wrong about that.])

10. Keith Hollister

It was the X100S I tried and returned - never touched one of the Sony's. That's probably sacrilege here since I notice the Fuji's are quite popular. I admit I still want to like the Fuji X stuff, mostly because I think the lenses are fantastic and the X-tran still fascinates me.

11. Brian Moore

Brian Moore Moderator

Sorry Keith--enjoyed reading your blog but for some reason I had RX100 in my mind the whole time (even though you clearly identified theFuji)! Don't know what I was thinking. (Sorry @Pete Askew!)

It is rather early here yet--its my only excuse!:rolleyes:

Edit:
    Uh,...you did blog about the GX7 didn't you,...or did I get that wrong, too?o_O

Pete Askew likes this.
  12. Keith Hollister

Roger on the GX7 ;)

13. Lesley Jones

Lesley Jones Otherwise know as Zooey

And what an introduction it is indeed! Those are really stunning and it makes our wildlife look very drab :)

14. Keith Hollister

But, you guys have hedgehogs! :)

Thanks for the kind words.

Pete Askew likes this.
  15. Beth Anthony

Beth Anthony Well-Known Member

excellent bird photos. the first shot and #3 are my favorites.

16. Glen Roberts

Glen Roberts Well-Known Member

Some nice shots there Keith, I do like a bit of Bird photography:).

How can you say that Lesley, we have some little beauties in this country too.

Like these;).
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Paul Lange

Paul Lange Moderator

Great introduction Keith, some very nice bird photographs. Welcome to the forum (I know its a bit late).

Great set too Glen, that 3rd one is especially wonderful.

18. Keith Hollister

Thanks, Paul

19. Chris Dodkin

Chris Dodkin West Coast Correspondent

Welcome Keith - some excellent birding shots there, really lovely timing and comps

Are you shooting with some long glass for these?

20. Keith Hollister

My usual bird rig is a 300 + 1.7x TC for 510mm. I was using DX (APS-C) bodies until I switched to the D800, which is still 16MP at a DX crop.

The question of which 300 is where the story gets funny. I had been using the Nikon 300/4 AF-S for several years but got a hankering last year to get a 300/2.8 VRII. My idea was that the much faster AF and VR would let me do more BIF. As it turns out, the damn was too heavy to handhold for very long and the VR was little use because I usually had the shutter speed up around 1/1000 anyway. And the 300/4 is outstanding from an IQ standpoint withe the TC's, so my images weren't any better with the 300/2.8 in spite of the 5X cost difference.

I just sold the 2.8 last week and am going back to the f4 version (which I fortunately didn't sell).

Pete Askew likes this.