Leica Monochrom

Discussion in 'Equipment & Media' started by Rob MacKillop, Dec 10, 2017.

1. Rob MacKillop

Rob MacKillop Edinburgh Correspondent

I went to London to see my daughter for a day, and found myself in the Leica Shop. Tried out the Monochrom...and wish I hadn't. Now feeling sick.

Oh my, what a camera!

That's all.

:(

2. Dave Farnes

Dave Farnes Well-Known Member

I have looked at one of those myself, I know someone who has one.
    Like window shopping in Bond Street; no temptation to buy; safely unaffordable for me. :)

3. Roshni Patel

Roshni Patel Active Member

I wasn't aware of this camera :(

4. Aldous Lau

Aldous Lau Well-Known Member

My first try out was year 2014 when Pete traveled to Hong Kong. After the Mono 246 (CMOS) released, the price of CCD dropped and some people in here should noticed that I have got the CCD for couple of months at local store

Rob, you won't regret after you pay for it, the only concern is whether you go for CCD or 246. I have heard that Leica is not willing to replace for new CCD for free even for coating issue. Over here in HK, we need to pay around eur $9000 for new CCD plus another eur $80 for courier from HK to Germany, lead time is about 180 days.....

5. Rob MacKillop

Aldous, I am ignorant: what do CCD and 246 refer to? And also mono?

I'm seeing one or two on ebay here for just under £3,000. Still too much for me, I'm afraid.

6. Aldous Lau

Rob, the Mono has 2 versions (CCD and CMOS). The 1st Mono are CCD and Mono 246 are CMOS

7. Rob MacKillop

Which is the best?

8. Aldous Lau

TBH I am not sure which is the best. I cannot see differences between CCD and COMS

Rob MacKillop likes this.
  9. Pete Askew

Pete Askew Admin

Mine is the older and is a wonderful camera. @Hamish Gill bought one but I'm not sure which version. I have no inclination to go for the CMOS version and have sen no issues with my sensor (or the one in the M9). I do now have an M10 though!

Rob MacKillop likes this.
  10. Rob MacKillop

Lucky man. How's the M10?

11. Aldous Lau

Pete, are you planning to get the M10? :cool:

12. Pete Askew

Pete Askew Admin

13. Aldous Lau

Wow, how is it Pete?