1. Lesley Jones

Lesley Jones Otherwise know as Zooey

After yet another evening of not being able to use the computer, we’re thinking of killing off McAfee. We bought a brand new PC about three months ago because CS5 fell over a lot with my massive files. The new PC has been great, but it came with McAfee and lately it has been taking over the machine. Last night was typical – I switched on, did a few things and then wondered why it started taking forever to type even one letter. I know by now – a quick check of task manager shows McAfee using up to 99% of the CPU. You can’t end task, or shut down the machine without a fight and left to its own devices, it will do this for up to two hours meaning I get nothing done at all.
    Any thoughts?

2. Hamish Gill

Hamish Gill Well-Known Member

Uninstall mcafee!

Dan Cattermole likes this.
  3. Kev Pugh

Kev Pugh Well-Known Member

Kill it!!

4. Lesley Jones

Well that seems to agree with my own views... :D

We used to get free use of Sophos at home via work, but I think we have to pay for it now. It has to be worth it :)

5. Beth Anthony

Beth Anthony Well-Known Member

mcafee is horrible. i use avast coupled with malware bytes and spybot, all freeware.

6. Lesley Jones

So that's 4 votes against and nothing for. I'm glad it's not just me :)

7. Brian Moore

Brian Moore Moderator

Sorry to hear about this, Lesley. This type of thing is one of the reasons I went to a Mac. (And after 2 years of Mac use I have no intention of returning to the world of the PC.)

That's no help to you I realize; I guess the best thing is to follow Hamish's advice: uninstall McAfee and find another program to protect your computer.

8. Chris Dodkin

Chris Dodkin West Coast Correspondent

Mac

9. Brian Moore

Brian Moore Moderator

10. Paul Lange

Paul Lange Moderator

On all my PCs for quite a few years now I use Comodo Internet Security Suite. It is free, really does work and has saved me quite a few times. I also use CCleaner regularly clean the system files and registry as this tends to remove a lot of the junk that accumulates on the hard drive.

11. Darren Turner

Darren Turner XProPhotographer

kapersky here, its free as i use online banking with Barclay bank (they provide a yearly subsciption code), i never get many issues, prior to this free Avast and that never failed me

12. Lesley Jones

Many thanks for this. We use CCleaner as well. My husband thinks we may still be covered by Sophos, so I'm going to chase him now. I need to get rid of this horror before it throws another wobbler :)