My Canada camera

Discussion in 'Equipment & Media' started by Ian Grant, Sep 30, 2016.

1. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Active Member

A trip to Canada earlier this month led to some thought, I didn't wasnt to take my LF gear as it was a family get together for a wedding but I wanted something reasonably light weoght and versatile. I also wanted some movements something I miss when shooting MF with my Mamiya 645 or TLR cameras.

So I spent a few hours making this camera utilising the trackbed, guides and front standard from a quarter plate Speed Graphic. It;s actually a protoype for a dual 5x4 and 6x17 camera I plan to make. I used the front standard from a 5x4 Pacemaker Graphic so I could use lens boards and lenses I already use on a Super Grahic.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The bellows were taken from a Speed Graphic camera I erviced and restored the week before, I'dfittednew Chinese belloews. W will make new bellows for this camera over the winter meanwhile I removed some of the ptches and quiclky recovered this old set.

Here's some of the parts prior to assembly and finishing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'll posts some images made with it once I;ve printed them, the negatives are very sharp.

Ian

Rob MacKillop likes this.
  2. Pete Askew

Pete Askew Admin

That made very nice hybrid, Ian. Do you plan an interchangeable insert on the rear?

3. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Active Member

Do you mean different 120 formats with this camera Pete ? Not really.

With the next one definitely, I'll have a 5x4 insert and a 6x17 as well. I'll be using another quarter plate PAcemaker trackbed but a Super Graphic front standard as it allows more movements. I was told it wouldn't fit but a lot of grinding and it did. I'll modify heavily to allow the use of Wista/Linhof lens boards.

The camera I've shown here can focus to 6ft with a 203mm f7.7 Ektar, I want the 5x4/6x17 camera to be able to use 75mm (possibly 65mm) to 203mm lenses as I use a 75mm as standard for 6x17 (as you saw with my Caorsi). I want to rationalise, I visited Olympia in Greece once with a Super Graphic (5x4), Gaoersi 6x17, Yashicamat 124 and a Canon DSLR plus a few lenses. Since then they've tightened up on the size of the back-pack you can take in.

There's just a chance I may change my plans as I bought an MPP MkIII quite cheaply just before leaving for Canada and it came with most of a second camera but none of the back. I could use most of this to make an even more versatile camera. I always let the subconscious decide.

Ian