1. Rob MacKillop

Rob MacKillop Edinburgh Correspondent

These photos were taken by the luthier, Scot Tremblay of British Columbia. The instrument is currently on its way to the Scotland, presently somewhere above the North Pole :cool: Let's hope it arrives safely.

It is a copy of a Viennese guitar with 8 strings, two more than usual - you can easily see the two extra bass strings - what we call floating bass strings, which are not freted with the left hand. The original this is based on is from the time of Schubert (who played the six-string variety) about 1820. I'll eventually get around to making a video, once I've figured out what to do with it.

Note also the raised fingerboard (last image). Most guitar fingerboards sit on the soundboard, but this cuts out some of the treble end of the sonic spectrum. The luthier of the original guitar in the early 19th century, Stauffer, was a bit of an innovator. He saw that violins and cellos had raised fretboards, so thought he'd try it on a guitar. Not only that, but he made it moveable by the action of a key in the heel of the neck. So, it is easy to change the height of the strings above the frets - a wonderful invention, which only recently have some guitar makers adopted.

Looking forward to its arrival! What's the first thing I'll play on it? Smoke On The Water, of course! :cool:

Back.jpg Bridge.jpg CornerProfile.jpg Endpin.jpg Front.jpg Head.jpg HeadandPegs.jpg RaisedFingerboard.jpg

Last edited: Jan 29, 2013
  2. Pete Askew

Pete Askew Admin

Interesting Rob. So Xmas has come late this year then! :) Is that birds-eye maple?

One of the people we know well here in Babelsberg is a luthier, making most violins and violas I believe (just looked him up - Markus Opitz - and it seems he makes Flamenco guitars also!). I will be taking some photos of him working in the next couple of months.

3. Rob MacKillop

Yes, birds-eye maple. Well spotted! Here is Scot's website: Welcome | Roseberry Guitars

I don't know Markus Opitz, but I certainly look forward to your images of his workshop!

4. Brian Moore

Brian Moore Moderator

I'd say birds-eye maple, too. At least for the sides. Probably the back, too, I guess, but hard to tell from the fotie. What's the black wood? African Blackwood? (I don't think its ebony, but I'm not sure why.)

I love Hendrix's version of All Along The Watchtower. Can you play that one for us too, Rob? :eek:

5. Rob MacKillop

I'll check on all that.

All Along The Watchtower? Nae probs. Any other requests? Just don't ask me to set fire to it!

Last edited: Jan 29, 2013
  6. Glen Roberts

Glen Roberts Well-Known Member

It wouldn't be the same without the flames though Rob:p;).

As for a request how about the old Zepp' classic Stairway to Heaven...

7. Brian Moore

Brian Moore Moderator

I would never ask you to set fire to it, Rob. How about a Townsend instead? (You could glue it back together after.)

8. Rob MacKillop

Nooo! [doh]

9. Rob MacKillop

From the horse's mouth:

===============
    Sound board: Lutz Spruce, unique to the Rocky Mountains. A hybrid of Englemann and Sitka. Very similar to European (Better than most of the European available today IMO).

Back and sides: Birdseye Maple/Sugar Maple

Neck: One piece (except head) Rock Maple, Ebonized (Black stain then black spirit varnish/clear French polish)

All trim (fingerboard, bridge [with metal saddle/fret), pegs, nut, binding) Camaroon Ebony

French Polish all around except top which is egg wash sealed, hard oil (mixture of varnish and drying oil) and bee and lemon oil wax.
    ===============

So now we all know :)

10. Stan Hesketh

Stan Hesketh Member

That is a very interesting guitar and looks beautiful.
    Is it standard tuning and then two extra bass strings, or does it use a unique tuning?

11. Rob MacKillop

Hi Stan,

Standard for the usual six strings, then D and C. Saves me retuning the 6th string to D, which I do quite often. The low C will be interesting!

The string length between bridge and nut (normally 65cms) is a low 61cms, making stretches easier.

Can't wait to get my hands on it!

12. Rob MacKillop

Cheers, Jim.

13. Stan Hesketh

Stan Hesketh Member

Cheers, very interesting setup! 6 are too many for me I'm afraid :)

14. Kev Pugh

Kev Pugh Well-Known Member

Rob.I have great expectations for this piece of beautiful craftsmanship, both photog wise and playing wise so once it is in your safe hands enjoy it and share it. looking forward to hearing and seeing it's beauty..........:)

15. Rob MacKillop

Thanks, Kev. I surely will.

16. Beth Anthony

Beth Anthony Well-Known Member

looks really nice. though i don't know much about guitars or music in general.

all along the watchtower has my vote. it's my main ringtone, though it's the battlestar galactica version..

17. Chris Dodkin

Chris Dodkin West Coast Correspondent

Rob, how do you buy such an instrument sight unseen - or more to the point, without having played it?

Just curious as I'm sure they're not cheap!

18. Paul Lange

Paul Lange Moderator

That looks like a fine piece of craftsmanship Rob. I'm sure it will fetch a fine price when you sell it when the need to upgrade your camera takes hold ;).

19. Pete Askew

Pete Askew Admin

Now that is what you call a stealth camera purchase! ;)

20. Rob MacKillop

Chris - I have seven days to decide it's a keeper, or full return on my money. The guy has a great reputation, so that makes it easier.