New55 Atomic X Film

Discussion in 'Equipment & Media' started by Pete Askew, Feb 14, 2016.

1. Pete Askew

Pete Askew Admin

The negative in the New55 instant film is called Atomic X and is also available as sheet film for use in standard holders, as well as part of the instant peel-apart package. I have ordered some, along with their one-bath dev/stop/fix developer to see what it is like in a standard setup as I am impressed with both its tonality and fine grain.

The positives from New55 have a lot of, shall we say, character to them, which I like. The negatives though are more conventional (except for the lack of uniform edges in some cases) and produce very nice prints. I had not as yet scanned one though and so I decided to have a look at one of the ones I produced the other day. It was scanned (and inverted) in Silverfast 8 from a Microtek Scanmaker 1000XL at the maximum resolution (3200 dpi) just to see if I could see the grain - I can't! All that has been done to these is to output sharpen them in Nik Output Sharpener Pro via LR.

Full Frame

[​IMG]

Crop (of main area of focus)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 14, 2016
  2. Keith Hollister

Keith Hollister Active Member

A bit late to party on this, Pete, but I love the image and who could not like a film called "Atomic X" ? :)

Pete Askew likes this.
  3. Rob MacKillop

Rob MacKillop Edinburgh Correspondent

I think we all missed this one. Sorry, Pete. It slipped under the radar.

What a beautiful picture that is! The feather is so soft, I want to reach out and stroke it. I can only see one picture, though the text implies two. Absolutely gorgeous. Please do more!