Notes From The Top Left Corner

Discussion in 'Competitions, Themes & Blogs' started by Chris Bennett, Apr 13, 2019.

1. Chris Bennett

Chris Bennett Well-Known Member

The Konica is suffering from making multiple exposures with some rolls of film. There is no 'official' multiple exposure setting on the camera, but it's done it with two rolls now - the first just with a couple of frames and the second with about a third of the roll. It's also scratching the film and I suppose these two things are related to each other.

Konica Double.jpg
    Konica Double

It's happened with rolls that I have bulk loaded, so could it be due to something I've done there, I wonder. The trouble is, I am loathed to waste too much more film on it and my understanding of camera mechanics is insufficient to identify the cause if it lies with the Konica. The frame below seems to be a triple exposure.

Konica Hat Trick.jpg
    Konica Hat Trick

2. Dave Farnes

Dave Farnes Well-Known Member

My technical knowledge is not up to much either.
    Strangely, you have got something with that triple exposure. The road sign points at the figure on the left but the lines and other figures drtaws the eyes to the right. Add in those weird clashing perspectives and it is an intersting image.

3. Chris Bennett

I chose a couple of interesting ones on purpose Dave. There's another intriguing one that I nearly selected. I will try to remember to hook it out and post it tomorrow.

4. Pete Askew

Pete Askew Admin

Blimey I've got some catching up to do. Love the girder bridge portrait.

I read the text after looking at the multi-exposure images and, you know what, I'd keep it that way and let serendipity (or Ms Sarah as we like to call her) have her way! They are just fabulous. The first doesn't seem a double at first and works so well and the second is a documentary in a single shot (shame it's not a U-Turn sign though!).

Chris Bennett likes this.
  5. Chris Bennett

So you think I should leave it as it is, as a kind of Russian Roulette camera?!
    Right then, colour film and a visit to the cafe!

Pete Askew likes this.
  6. Pete Askew

Pete Askew Admin

Absolutely. I like that, "A Russian Roulette Camera". Based on that, and with a full roll of film, you should get 6 cracking shots!

7. Chris Bennett

You just watch, I'll give it a go and the camera will perform flawlessly.

Pete Askew likes this.
  8. Chris Bennett

I did say flawlessly, didn't I?
    Well, here are a few of the 37 frames of flawlessness which ensued!

Bowland Beech
    Bowland Beech.JPG

King of Trainers
    This man didn't fall, he was performing a series of push-ups.
    King of Trainers.JPG

Rummage
    Rummage.JPG

Short Phil
    Short Phil.JPG

This was a roll of XP2, which I developed in Caffenol and not a double exposure in sight. I am now wondering whether the problem was somehow related to the fact that previous rolls had been bulk loaded. That's why I tried a factory fresh roll in this test. The XP2 was all I had to hand that I could develop at home. Bulk rolling technique is now honed to perfection, I think, so I shall try again with the Russian Roulette Autoreflex.

9. Rob MacKillop

Rob MacKillop Edinburgh Correspondent

Ha, great shots, Chris, the second and last especially. Great observing.

10. Dave Farnes

Dave Farnes Well-Known Member

Worked just fine this time. Fine shots, the lights and reflections in the pavements add to the interest too.

11. Chris Bennett

Thanks gents.
    XP2 works quite nicely with caffenol, I think.

12. Pete Askew

Pete Askew Admin

It does indeed. I have still never gotten round to trying it though.

And what a fine set. Bowing to the King of Trainers - well almost. And the last is a gem.