Notes From The Top Left Corner

Discussion in 'Competitions, Themes & Blogs' started by Chris Bennett, Apr 13, 2019.

1. Rhonda Smith

Rhonda Smith Active Member

Been busy caring for my clients. Just trying to rest in my spare time. Off thios week waiting for my test result, so thought I would catch up with all of you.

Chris Bennett likes this.
  2. Chris Bennett

Chris Bennett Well-Known Member

Just one shot from the test roll with the Autocord. The object was not to achieve artistic perfection, but just to make sure that the thing worked! Despite that, I quite like this one.
    HP5 / f/3.5 / 0.5 seconds / lights out. Developed in Rodinal

Autocord f3.5 0.5 sec lights out.JPG

3. Rhonda Smith

Rhonda Smith Active Member

Looks like it worked just fine

4. Dave Farnes

Dave Farnes Well-Known Member

I like that one, has an air of mystery about it.

5. Chris Bennett

Up on top of the Bowland Fells yesterday, playing in the fog with the Autocord and a new lens. The colour roll (Portra 400) I took with the Autocord is now in the post and so, in the meantime, here's one I took with the Tamron Adaptall 24mm f/2.5 stuck onto a Sony digital.

Foggy coos.JPG

Last edited: Nov 30, 2020
  6. Pete Askew

Pete Askew Admin

Now there's a damn fine looking beast!

The things that go through an animal's mind eh! ;)

7. Chris Bennett

Ha!
    Cheeky git.

Pete Askew likes this.
  8. Chris Bennett

Things have been a bit slow on the photography front here of late, but I've been using the Autocord TLR a bit, with the chance to reacquaint myself with Sunny 16. I've been amused a couple of times while using it when walking with the finder hood open, the big and bright screen has caught my eye and the thought has gone through my mind that I ought to turn that off to save the batteries. Idiot!

One interesting turn of events has been the chance to try out colour developing for the first time. I was given a CineStill C41 kit for Christmas and was able to use it for a roll of 120 from the Autocord and a roll of 35mm from the Pentax P30.
    Here are some of the results...

Flood Defence.JPG

Flood Defence, Garstang.

Castle Garstang.JPG

Castle, Garstang.

Both of the above were taken with the TLR, though the second on is cropped because of a bad smear at the top of the frame. Not sure what happened there.

Stone Pier.JPG

Stone Pier and Lighthouse, Morecambe.

Ramp.JPG

Lifeboat Launch Ramp, Morecambe.

A walk one frosty afternoon on one of those rare days when there is not a breath of wind in the coast. Great sunset, lighting up the flat sea in pink stripes. I love the minimal look of this one.

Flat Bay.JPG

One last one of the scene in the opposite direction and towards the sun...

West Bay.JPG

9. Pete Askew

Pete Askew Admin

Well it worked a treat, Chris. A damn fine set indeed. And you even managed to capture the Loch Ness Monster - and no-one can accuse of digital jiggery pokery either! ;)

10. Chris Bennett

Thanks Pete.
    The second to last image is a bit stripey. There were a few like that on the 35mm roll. I think it's due to me having to use a spindle to agitate for the first time ever because the lid of the tank was leaking when I started doing my usual inversion technique. I only twistled in one direction - I think maybe I should have twistled and untwistled!

11. Chris Bennett

The C41 kit was great to use and very much more simple than I imagined it might be. Certainly no more daunting than developing black and white. The trickiest part was getting the temperatures of the two solutions to be correct at their respective appropriate times. A double sink would help but an insulated cool box acting as a water bath will probably be the way I will do it in future.

12. Dave Farnes

Dave Farnes Well-Known Member

That worked very well, great set of images. Some fine views there.

Flat grey skies here, with rain / drizzle almost every day. Enthusiasm is lacking!