Notes From The Top Left Corner

Discussion in 'Competitions, Themes & Blogs' started by Chris Bennett, Apr 13, 2019.

1. Chris Bennett

Chris Bennett Active Member

I think I have finally admitted to myself that, sometimes I really like to make images that are darker than most. By this, I mean in the "Oh dear, I think you'll find that's under-exposed, old chap" sense, rather than "Whoopee, I've just been promoted to head photographer at the coroner's office".

More importantly, I suppose, I have realised that, actually:
    It's OK to do that, because I'm in charge!

So, I have spent a few days embracing that idea somewhat.

[​IMG]

DSC09222.jpg DSC09083.jpg Side Street.JPG

2. Rob MacKillop

Rob MacKillop Edinburgh Correspondent

Chris, you are talking rubbish. These are perfectly exposed shots. I love dark shadows, darker than these even. The second is perfect.

Check out David English: https://davidenglish.com/category/leica-blog/ for deep blacks.

3. Chris Bennett

Well...I was trying to convey the sense of someone else talking rubbish, Rob!
    Thanks for the comment and tip - I shall take a look.

Rob MacKillop likes this.
  4. Rob MacKillop

Sean Tucker is another shadows inspiration for me:

5. Dave Farnes

Dave Farnes Well-Known Member

Those are fine images. I do like the guitar picture and the last one could inspire a story. Turn off the brightly lit main street into a shady underworld...

6. Chris Bennett

Thanks Dave.
    Gosh, I am rather pleased that one of them can set your imagination off like that.

7. Chris Bennett

My lens purchasing habit has slowed somewhat recently. My wife tells me that this is because I have nearly bought them all. However, one recently landed here - it's a Tamron Adaptall 2 SP 35-210mm f/3.5 - 4.2 (26A).
    It's in beautiful condition and was extremely cheap (like the price of a couple of pints). I stuck it on my NEX 5 and took it with me to work yesterday morning. I got there early, so spent a short while mooching around the grounds of Lancaster cathedral, which is just a 100m or so from the office I work from a couple of days a week.

I have done nothing to the images. Apart from copying them at a lower file size to add here, they're just as they came off the camera.

Garg.JPG

Gate.JPG Door.JPG Nook.JPG Hydrangea.JPG

8. Chris Bennett

All in all, I'm very pleased with it. I like the natural colours that it seems to produce. Well worth a tenner!

9. Rob MacKillop

The images are clear and on the soft side, which I like. Money well spent.

Chris Bennett likes this.
  10. Rob MacKillop

The images are clear and on the soft side, which I like. Money well spent.

11. Dave Farnes

That was a real bargain. Fine set of detail studies.

12. Chris Bennett

Thanks Dave.
    I had a couple of rolls of film developed today , one of which was taken with that lens.

Again, apart from the odd crop, they are unadulterated...

Admirers.JPG

Bus.JPG

Camera.JPG

I'll be dropping some more onto the 'Car Parts' thread later too.
    http://realphotographersforum.com/forum/posts/188173/

Last edited: Sep 8, 2019
  13. Rob MacKillop

I love the quality of these film shots, Chris.

14. Chris Bennett

Thanks Rob.
    I am somewhat flabbergasted at the fact that they came from my hand, actually. The roll that these images came from is perhaps the best and most consistent one I have ever taken.

Rob MacKillop likes this.
  15. Dave Farnes

Those are fine shots. I like the way everything matches, the clothes and cars in the first are from the same era, as are the bus and art deco building in the second.

16. Chris Bennett

I have a day off work today and the weather is a bit grim, so I've spent the morning sorting through a few images. Following on from my post above, I've hooked out a few from my shadowy recent past.

Body language.JPG

Lunch.JPG

Pillars2.JPG

Pillars3.JPG

17. Chris Bennett

The first two were shot this Saturday with an Industar 26M 50mm f/2.8 rangefinder lens.
    I have no memory of what the others were taken with - possibly a Takumar 35mm

18. Rob MacKillop

I like them a lot, but then I am a fan of deep shadows. It's great that we can't see the woman's face in the colour shot - nice colour too. A success, I'd say.

19. Chris Bennett

Thanks Rob.
    I watched the Sean Tucker video that you linked to. It's great, thanks for that. Turns out I was already doing what he recommends - it's very easy to set things up for this when you can see a histogram as you frame the shot.

20. Rob MacKillop

Indeed. I use the histogram when I have one available - not so on my film cameras, but somehow life goes on. Amazing :)