Notes From The Top Left Corner

Discussion in 'Competitions, Themes & Blogs' started by Chris Bennett, Apr 13, 2019.

1. Chris Bennett

Chris Bennett Active Member

Beach bunkers!

2. Pete Askew

Pete Askew Admin

They were actually quite palatial and much better than the wooden hut we had before up under South Cliff. The only downside was digging all the shingle away from the entrance after the Spring tides. They were also larger inside and had running water as I recall. I understand that they sell for a fortune these days.

3. Chris Bennett

I saw an estate agent's sign on one of the doors of one. Wondered what the going rate was.

4. Dave Farnes

Dave Farnes Well-Known Member

Beautiful colours, the late afternoon light this time of year is wonderful.

When I saw the second one the first thing that came to mind was the head of the headmaster figure from "The Wall".

Pete Askew likes this.
  5. Pete Askew

Pete Askew Admin

6. Chris Bennett

Some more experiments with the 10 stop ND filter this afternoon and and at >2 minute exposures, I learnt a little about 'hot pixels'.
    It's the last day before the wheel goes down the road on a truck, so...

Unfortunately, I learnt how to deal with them too late for those pictures though!

Two minute wheel.JPG

Last edited: Jan 6, 2020
  7. Pete Askew

Pete Askew Admin

8. Chris Bennett

There was a big event last week!
    Anyone mildly acquainted with the nonsense I write on this thread is likely to have worked out that, although I spend often on this hobby, I never...ever...spend big.
    I have come to the conclusion that, sometimes you just can't beat having a good, solid, modern auto-focus lens handy and that no matter how much I love my ever growing collection of Takumars, Meyers and the like, I'm missing out just a little on modernity.
    I'm happy with the range of options I have for my Canon DSLR but I have nothing better than a kit lens for my little Sony that I like to take on short trips abroad and on some of my forays into the street.

So I have invested in a nice shiny new E-mount lens. This is a major departure for me, because it's only the second new lens I have ever bought. You'll realise just how big a departure when I point out that the other new one was the little Fujian which cost 16 quid!

The device that my gleaming eyes lighted on is a Sigma 30mm f/1.4. I spent a few hours on Saturday and Sunday, out and about with it and have been thoroughly delighted with the decision I made. This really is a very nice lens indeed.

Favourite photo from the weekend?
    It's this one, I think (Link)

But this is fun too.

The Hulk.JPG

9. Pete Askew

Pete Askew Admin

Nic focal length too, Chris. Lovely gleam to that rust!

Chris Bennett likes this.
  10. Rhonda Smith

Rhonda Smith Active Member

Ohh,!! I love shooting rust in sunrises and sunsets. it takes on life of its own. Nice lens and nicely taken, Chris.

Chris Bennett likes this.
  11. Chris Bennett

Thanks folks.

12. Chris Bennett

Anything you like, but keep it under 10kg.

I have been thinking of what to take on an upcoming trip and how to keep it all under the 10kg cabin baggage limit.
    The bag weighs about 3kg on its own!

Here's the list at present of the main items, but it may change many times between now and take-off time.

Canon dslr body
    Pentax 35mm slr body

Lenses for the Canon
    50mm f/1.8
    50mm f/2
    10-20mm
    70-300mm

Lenses primarily for the Pentax but useable on the Canon:
    Adaptall 35-70mm
    Adaptall 35-210mm