Critique Welcomed Ocean Beach Wildlife

Discussion in 'People & Portraits' started by Chris Dodkin, Aug 23, 2012.

1. Chris Dodkin

Chris Dodkin West Coast Correspondent

I returned to OB to do some more street work - it's such a varied community of locals and tourists, always something interesting going on.

[​IMG]
    Man with a bullhorn

[​IMG]
    No Skateboarding?

[​IMG]
    This is how we roll

[​IMG]
    USA Today

[​IMG]
    Hodad's

[​IMG]
    Living in the shadows

[​IMG]
    Chinese Food

[​IMG]
    Peek-a-boo

[​IMG]
    Video killed the radio star

[​IMG]
    Skateboarder

[​IMG]
    Waiting for the bus

[​IMG]
    Get a shirt!

[​IMG]
    Old Skateboarders

All shots X-Pro1 and 18mm Lens

Last edited: Aug 23, 2012
  2. Beth Anthony

Beth Anthony Well-Known Member

sweet, love the b&w tones. the series gives a good feel for the laid back lifestyle that area seems to have.

3. Chris Dodkin

Thanks Beth - so laid back they're horizontal! :D

4. Kev Pugh

Kev Pugh Well-Known Member

And another great set Chris:)

The pooch looks worried in the Chinese food shot, can't say I blame him :D I like the shadow of 'Covert Chris' in living in the shadows....

5. Julian de'Courcy

Julian de'Courcy Well-Known Member

More superb images , Video killed the radio star, is my favorite, works very well.

6. Chris Dodkin

Thanks Kev - That dog was the only one who spotted me all day! The 'shadows' shot does kind of give away my covert methodology doesn't it! :D

Thanks Julian - that guy in 'Video' just looked like he'd stepped out of the 80s pop video - I grabbed a couple of shots, but this one was the best look. You can also see my silhouette in the store window ;)

For those too young to remember...

[video=youtube;Iwuy4hHO3YQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iwuy4hHO3YQ[/video]

Last edited: Aug 23, 2012
  7. Pete Askew

Pete Askew Senior Member

A staggeringly good series there Chris. Observational without being intrusive. Difficult to pick favourites but I will! :), and it has 'Chinese Food' and 'The Scate-boarder'. Especially 'The Scate-boarder'. There is just something about the timing of it. Wonderful stuff. :)

8. Chris Dodkin

Thanks Pete - Chinese Food was one I saw developing as I walked, and I was able to line up the restaurant and wait for the dog and owner to walk in-front. Of course the dog then made my day by looking at me at the exact right moment.

Skateboarder caught my eye as firstly, he looked mad as hell for some reason, and secondly, he had a nose ring which was glinting in the sunlight as he walked.

Would have liked more of the girl with the dog - but holding the camera vertically whilst shooting from the hip is tricky :p

9. Fantastic set!
    All are very good, but really love the Chinese Food shot
    :D

10. Chris Dodkin

Thanks Richard :)

11. Dan Cattermole

Dan Cattermole Dan Down - The Steampunk Womble

Living in the shadows is my fav. Simply fantastic!
    Not sure about the shady looking character...... And the old boy sitting down :)

12. Chris Dodkin

Thanks Dan - I think :D

Someone pointed out that my shadow could be mistaken for someone opening a can of beer! :D :D :D