Olympus 35rc - A Review

Discussion in 'Equipment & Media' started by Hamish Gill, Jan 11, 2014.

1. Hamish Gill

Hamish Gill Well-Known Member

2. Dan Cattermole

Dan Cattermole Dan Down - The Steampunk Womble

Hamish, I've really been considering getting one of these.... REALLY!!!

Since I got the Trip 35 and spend ages trying to endlessly getting it working........ I had a look at the RC.

And what is is the purple light in the back round H?? it's frickin LUSH!!!!!

3. Hamish Gill

I have no idea where that purple light comes from! I must just watch purple tv programs a lot!

Get one Dan, you will love it!

Dan Cattermole likes this.
  4. Dan Cattermole

I will be in possession of one not long before pay day........ That is all I will have to say..... :)

Hamish Gill likes this.
  5. Chris Dodkin

Chris Dodkin West Coast Correspondent

Boom! Dan's in!! :D

That's a gorgeous looking camera Hamish - any batter or metering issues to watch out for?

6. Hamish Gill

Yeah, as I say at the bottom of the review it was designed for the old 1.35 625 mercury jobs which aren't made any more ... Wein make one though, or an adapted 1.4v hearing aid battery works a treat. Gonna do a blog about how I adapt a certain battery for it at some point

7. Lesley Jones

Lesley Jones Otherwise know as Zooey

I moved on to this camera after the Olympus Trip. I loved everything about it :)

8. Dave Green

Dave Green Well-Known Member

Your a bad person Hamish!

That's another camera I suddenly "Need" :)

9. Hamish Gill

I do love giving people GAS ;)

10. Dave Green

Dave Green Well-Known Member

I've had NAS for many decades - but it seems to be creeping wider. First the Oly trip, then the Fuji GS645S, then an OM-10 (that was a freebie though). Currently lusting after a Yashica Electro 35.

11. Hamish Gill

12. I wanted a 35rc a few months back, but there were none on ebay, so I ended up with an Olympus ECR instead*, which seems to be very very similar but without the manual controls. Tiny thing, weighs a ton, though.
    DSCF0270 olympus ECR small.jpg

*I bought 2 just to be on the safe side...

Last edited: Jan 12, 2014
  13. Hamish Gill

That looks tiny!
    Wanna send me one? ;)

14. well, I won't be using it* for a few months (got my Lubitel and Fuji XF1 to play with)... what's the postage for something like this? could do a swap-loan thing ?

*only one works, other needs small repair due to battary leakage

Last edited: Jan 12, 2014
  15. Hamish Gill

What's the repair needed?

16. The tiny wire running from the bottom of the the battery compartment, eaten away by battery leakage (a common fault in these cameras)

17. Hamish Gill

That doesn't sound too much of an issue to fix ... What's the rest of the camera like?

18. Dan Cattermole

Wow!! What a little gem!
    Would you be looking to repair yourself?..... Or would you be open to any offers?

19. Pete Askew

Pete Askew Admin

Nice review again Hamish. Interesting.

Hamish Gill likes this.
  20. The rest of the camera looks very nice, a little better than the working one. I could probably do it myself, but I hadn't soldered anything until two months ago, so I'd better practise a bit more before tackling this...