One System or Two?

Discussion in 'Equipment & Media' started by Milan Vjestica, Sep 19, 2016.

1. Milan Vjestica

Milan Vjestica Well-Known Member

I currently have both Fuji and Nikon gear. This is as follows;

Nikon;
    D800
    20mm f1.8
    28mm f1.8
    50mm f1.8
    85mm 1.8
    70-300 f4.5-5.6 VR
    Tamron 24-70 f2.8 VC

Fuji;
    XT-1
    XE-1
    XF 10-24 f4.0
    XF 18-55 f2.8-4
    XF 27 2.8
    XF 55-200 f3.5-4.8

I also have a few accessories for both including flashes, remotes, filters, batteries etc.

Currently I tend to pick up the Fuji gear as it is light and I do like the tactile controls. Image quality wise it is really very good. The system is simple to use and above all enjoyable.

As for the Nikon gear: it is capable of outstanding results. The resolution if fantastic. Their f1.8 primes are great and superb value. The Tamron 24-70 is also excellent. It is heavier, obviously. It also requires more setting up for me and the way I tend to go out.

With the new Fuji XT-2 and its 24MP sensor it has set me thinking as it now is a lot closer to the high resolution of the D800.

I really like both systems but feel the need to rationalise and "sweat the asset" of one system. Probably the one I am most likely to use or want to take with me. So, do I sell on the Nikon gear and buy an XT-2 with at least another quality prime (either the 16mm f1.4 or 90mm f2.0) or sell the Fuji gear and perhaps add a long zoom (Tamron or Sigma 150 - 600)? It is a hobby for me and I do mostly shoot landscapes and occasionally flora plus whatever happens to be around at the time. Most of you have seen my images with both systems.

Interesting choice. What is your opinion?

2. Pete Askew

Pete Askew Admin

You are almost certainly asking the wrong person! I have far more cameras than sense and have never sold a system. For small format SLRs I use Nikon and always have. I rarely use them for personal work these days though and shoot using Leica rangefinders for that. I was tempted briefly by the Fuji system but not by the XT as I am not a great fan of digital VFs and their RF-like systems had more appeal - but I like my Leicas and they are familiar to me.

Although I have a couple of D800s I would not choose them as a personal camera. Great image quality but I'm not keen on the handling nor the menus etc and prefer the way the D3 etc work. Given that and forced to choose, I would probably be more tempted by the Fuji system (based on reputation rather than any real experience - which of course you have).

Ivar D. Larsen likes this.
  3. Milan Vjestica

Pete,
    I still have a Nikon N8008 (F801), a box Brownie and a Zeiss Ikon folding 120 roll film camera. They act as my museum! Maybe they should go too?

4. Pete Askew

Pete Askew Admin

5. Rob MacKillop

Rob MacKillop Edinburgh Correspondent

Sell the lot, and buy a guitar!

Martin Carlin and Pete Askew like this.
  6. Beth Anthony

Beth Anthony Well-Known Member

milan, i have the x-t2 but haven't gotten to play with it until last night. i still haven't looked at those files on the computer. would you like me to email you a few raw files to play with to see how the file sizes compare between the x-t1 and your nikon? they're people photos for a local event and i'm not a people person (or a people photographer) so no laughing at the pics please. ;)

and i was in the same predicament a few years ago. the fuji was lighter and went with me, the canon 5d mk ii stayed home. after i realized i hadn't touched the canon for a year and didn't miss it i decided to sell the canon gear. i've been happy with that decision and with my situation. your miles may vary.

7. Milan Vjestica

Hi Beth,

That would be great. My email should be in my profile. It will be interesting how the image compares to the Nikon.

Regards

Milan

8. Milan Vjestica

Rob,

I can only just use my camera. I have no ability to play the guitar as much as I would like to. In my school years I did briefly play Bass and Drums. I then realised I had no talent for it!

9. Rob MacKillop

Rob MacKillop Edinburgh Correspondent

Too bad...but you can certainly take good photos.

10. Milan Vjestica

You are most kind sir!

You can do both, play good guitar and take good photos.

Rob MacKillop likes this.
  11. Milan Vjestica

No turning back now. The D800 has been sold. Now for the lenses. They will go on sale tomorrow.

Quite an emotional experience as I have been using Nikon for many years.

Now I can go shopping for an XT-2 and a couple of lenses!

Beth Anthony likes this.
  12. Julian de'Courcy

Julian de'Courcy Well-Known Member

Sounds like a plan which has it's own momentum Milan. I am sure you will have a lot of enjoyment from your Fuji. I went from the 5DMK2 and got the Olympus OM-D E-M5 when it first came out. Had such fun with the lighter gear, although the Fuji came out a bit after and would have got that.
    Now all you have to do is attempt and I mean attempt not to buy all of those lovely lenses fuji have, It will be futile though, I wonder how long a couple of lenses will been seen as adequate;) .

13. Beth Anthony

Beth Anthony Well-Known Member

the primes are very nice, but the majority of my shots are with the zoom lenses. the 16-55mm and 55-200mm are excellent choices, though if i were buying now i'd get the 16-55mm f/2.8 and 50-140mm f/2.8. i picked up the 100-400mm, but living where you'll most likely get shot carrying something like that i haven't had much chance to play with it. the 10-24mm is my favorite lens of all for landscapes.

14. Milan Vjestica

The lenses are a strong temptation and one or two will probably be added. I have the 3 zooms, 10-24, 18-55, 55-200, so for most things I am covered. However, as Beth stated, if starting again the 2 f2.8 zooms would cover 90% of what I shoot. All will depend on what I get for my Nikon lenses and from the tax man. OK just the Nikon lenses then. :rolleyes:

The 10-24 is a superb lens Beth. Mine tends to be the one staying on the camera by far the most.

15. Ivar D. Larsen

Ivar D. Larsen Well-Known Member

All I can ad, as I have been down that road too many times, is that you made a good choice Milan. I on the other hand added to my xt1 and xt10 an olympus omd-em1 just for its quality, lightness, fashion, smallness and above all its stabilization in the camera so I can use my old but beautiful oly 85mm/f2.0 manual lens.:cool: As well as a 17mm/f1,8 for street photography. And to top it off, a 100-300mm neat and nice for the birdies.:D

16. Julian de'Courcy

You sound like a 'just in case man ' :D

17. Ivar D. Larsen

I may sound like that, but can you imagine dragging all that stuff just in case:D I personally think, especially men, wants the neatest, lightest, smallest camera with one lens ranging from 20mm to 800mm, in a package not bigger than a 4/3 size one. But since that is not obtainable, they'll look for the second best:rolleyes: An Oly omd-em1 with a 17mm/f1,8 or even a 14-42mm ez lens on perhaps:p

18. Milan Vjestica

Now only have the Nikon 28mm AFS f1.8G left. All the rest of the Nikon gear has sold!

19. Julian de'Courcy

I have been looking through some Xpro 2 images on Fred Miranda and Flickr. The 24mp sensor seems to be a sweet spot giving superb IQ. The Xtrans sensor they does have a gorgeous output from what I am seeing something a little more subtle than your normal bayer sensor. Or maybe it is that the Fuji shooter is more discerning. Well most of them ;)

Milan Vjestica likes this.
  20. Ivar D. Larsen

I take that as a compliment:D as I include myself in that lot:cool: and even though my omd-em1 is a delight to use in all aspects of it, an xpro 2 or xt2 are tempting me very much. Just tempting, - only. "While the cat's away the mouse is dancing on the table!"