The Non-Touristy Shots of the Forth Bridge

Discussion in 'Landscape and Architecture' started by Rob MacKillop, Oct 17, 2020.

1. Rob MacKillop

Rob MacKillop Edinburgh Correspondent

Having moved to South Queensferry 8 days ago, I've had little time to get out with a camera, so late last night took these shots from inside the house, through the glass of the windows with the Leica M9 Monochrom and 7Artisans 50mm 1.1 lens.

I've been dreading taking tourist-style shots of the famous bridge, but am quite pleased with these.

Brig07.jpg

Brig06.jpg

Brig09.jpg

Brig10.jpg

Brig11.jpg

2. Dave Farnes

Dave Farnes Well-Known Member

Those are interesting images, certainly nothing touristy there! The first three remind me of the fancy fillaments in Edison lightbulbs.

Just a thought; would it hurt to do one set of quality tourist pics? Composed properly, spot on lighting and exposure. Just to show the damn tourists how it ought to be done. :)

3. Rob MacKillop

It would indeed hurt...because I'm rubbish at it :D

4. Chris Bennett

Chris Bennett Well-Known Member

The first is interesting Rob. There's the ghost of a mushroom cloud in the foreground, to my eyes. I am not so sure abou the light trail ones but the last one, though, is great. The light coupled with the scale of the reflected things gives the bridge the look of a toy. Very intriguing!

Rob MacKillop likes this.
  5. Rob MacKillop

Agreed, the Ghost Ship (first one) is intriguing - light coming down from a cloud - and the last is fun, including some of my framed photos. It does indeed look like a model village.

Chris Bennett likes this.
  6. Pete Askew

Pete Askew Admin

The first and last for me too, Rob. The last is especially good and combines the new views with framed prints of your work. Excellent stuff. It almost has a model train set feel about it. Hang on a sec...

Rob MacKillop likes this.
  7. Rob MacKillop

Haha, no, it's definitely not a model train set! Does look like it, I admit. I was focussing for the window rather than beyond it, and the result is rather intriguing. I do like the Ghost Ship.

8. Chris Bennett

Chris Bennett Well-Known Member

Train set!
    That's what I meant when I said 'toy'.

Pete Askew and Rob MacKillop like this.