Critique Welcomed The Northwestern National Life Building, Minneapolis

Discussion in 'Landscape and Architecture' started by Brian Moore, Jul 3, 2018.

1. Brian Moore

Brian Moore Moderator

Architect: Minoru Yamasaki. Opened in 1965. Yamasaki also designed the World Trade Center in New York.

It was hard to get a decent image of the front of the building because of the trees. With the trees behind me I was looking almost straight up at the columns; with the trees in front of me I couldn't see the building. Settled for this 3/4 view that seemed about best.

Sigma DP1M(acKillop)

[​IMG]

2. Dave Farnes

Dave Farnes Well-Known Member

That is a great angle to shoot from, the perspective works well and the trees on both sides and above contrast the building very well. That is a beautiful building, a modernist take on the Athens Parthenon.

Brian Moore likes this.
  3. Brian Moore

Brian Moore Moderator

Thanks Dave. It is indeed a beautiful building. I had seen it on a trip up there last year. But I had only a fleeting glance as I crossed an intersection in my rental car on the way to the airport. I didn't know what it was, I just thought next time there I need to try to find the building again. Glad I did. Thanks again, Dave.

4. Rob MacKillop

Rob MacKillop Edinburgh Correspondent

As Dave says, great angle. I like the way the apex of the building juts into the branch. Very elegant for concrete. Good shot, Brian.

Brian Moore likes this.
  5. Brian Moore

Brian Moore Moderator

Thanks Rob. Much appreciated.