Theme: Competition - Sub £10 Camera

Discussion in 'Competitions, Themes & Blogs' started by Rob MacKillop, Oct 21, 2014.

1. Rob MacKillop

Rob MacKillop Edinburgh Correspondent

The idea is to submit a best shot from a single roll of film from a camera costing under £10 (about 16 USD or 12 Euros, I guess.)

No digital processing. Just shoot, develop, scan and post.

To enter you must join the blog (follow this link to sign up) and write a post about the camera you have bought. How much you got it for, a picture of it, where you got it from, any passing thoughts on it.

You then need to add your favourite photo to the showcase gallery here

You can post as many to the forum as you like, but the one you post in the showcase will be the one that gets voted on at the beginning of december

Time limit: so we don't lose interest, I suggest a few weeks max. Let's agree 28th November. Remember, remember, the Friday 28th of November!

Prize: Hamish said something about £500, or something like that. Possibly nothing. (<--- I didn't say that :))

----------------

I immediately ran to ebay and grabbed myself an Olympus XA3 for £9.99. But if you have a camera that fits the bill already, that will do nicely.

I just put a film in mine - Reala 100. We shall see what comes of it.

One more thing, I feel it should be new shots, not old ones - otherwise Brian will upload his entire Flickr collection :D

Who's in?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 22, 2014
  2. Rob MacKillop

Hamish also mentioned doing a write-up of your experience, and placing it in the Blog section of this Forum. I think that's an excellent idea.

3. Brian Moore

Brian Moore Moderator

Well I was in,...now I'll have to think carefully about it. :(

Rob MacKillop likes this.
  4. Rob MacKillop

I'm off to a bad start. I noticed the number count dial wasn't advancing. Now, either this was because the film wasn't advancing, or the number dial was broken. I either get excited about 36 shots, only to find out at the end that none of them had been recorded, or I cut my losses now and expose the film.

I opened it up - the film HAD advanced quite properly, but I'd ruined it. The number counter is broken. I can live with that, and now I know.

5. Hamish Gill

Hamish Gill Well-Known Member

Thanks Rob!
    Yeah, even better would be to buy a new (old) camera like last time we did this ... You can get a lot of camera for £10.
    I just bought the camera I'm going to use. An Olympus AF-10 super ... £1

6. Hamish Gill

Frustrating!

7. Rob MacKillop

Yes, but I'd only taken about four shots. I don't think any great classics were ruined...

8. Rob MacKillop

Hamish, what do you mean by a new (old) camera, as opposed to what I got?

9. Hamish Gill

Mate those were your four masterpiece works ... At least that's what you tell people ... Lost to tragedy!

10. Hamish Gill

I will create a showcase gallery for this tomorrow, anyone wanting to take part, let me know and I'll give you a login for the blog

11. Hamish Gill

I just meant old, but new to you. Nothing wrong with your choice, in fact it's a perfect example of the sort of camera

12. Rob MacKillop

Send me the login details, Hamish, please.

13. Brian Moore

Brian Moore Moderator

Are you referring to your new-old XA3, Rob? The XA3 is, as you know, a manual wind/rewind camera. If the rewind crank turns when you wind the film onto the next frame, you know the film is advancing.

14. Brian Moore

Brian Moore Moderator

15. Rob MacKillop

Thanks, Brian. Good advice.

16. Hamish Gill

Rob, ive just edited your OP ... hope you dont mind.
    All the pieces of the puzzle are in place... we just need people to take part now! :)

17. Rob MacKillop

Good. That all now sounds proper and legit.

So far, though, it's just me, Hamish and Brian. Come on lads and lassies!

18. Brian Moore

Brian Moore Moderator

Do I need to get a new old sub-10 pound camera or can I use an old old sub 10 pound camera whose offspring have never been featured on RPF before? I don't mind either way, I'm just exploring my options.

19. Rob MacKillop

Nae point in spending mair money, Brian. [as one Scotsman says to another]

20. Brian Moore

Brian Moore Moderator

True enough, Rob. But I aim to be a good supporter of RPF and if the boss says I need to buy another camera, well I suppose I will just have to do that. :(:rolleyes:

Pete Askew likes this.