Trip to work theme, 01/10/10 - 8/10/10

Discussion in 'Competitions, Themes & Blogs' started by Hamish Gill, Oct 1, 2010.

1. Hamish Gill

Hamish Gill Well-Known Member

At the moment it seems I do, not sure why.... :)

2. Hamish Gill

I like that, reminds me of being on a bus for some reason!

3. Chris Dodkin

Chris Dodkin West Coast Correspondent

Well, the weather finally picked up here today - the rain cleared up and the sun came out! :)

Headed down town San Diego - which has a nice airport, with a landing approach not unlike Hong Kong!! :eek:

So here's my take on the 'Trip to Work' theme - capturing the bustle of the daily commute on the motorway, and those folks fortunate/unfortunate enough to commute by air.

5D MKII - Canon 300 f2.8L lens - 1/1000 Manual focus

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 9, 2010
  4. Chris Dodkin

Nice one Hamish - I like the rakish angle and the B&W treatment.

How the hell did you ride and shoot at the same time?

5. Pete Askew

Pete Askew Admin

Very nice shot Chris. And nicely on theme IMO. And, you didn't arrested as a suspected terrorist (or was this posted from somewhere on the coast of Cuba?!!).

6. Hamish Gill

Cheers Chris, and kudos on the timing of yours, very nice, looks as good to be a stock image!
    If you put a tobaco grad on it it could be like an opening shot from a 90's action film... Bad boys maybe ;)

7. Hamish Gill

So that's it...
    Theme closed!
    Good stuff to those who entered :)

8. Chris Dodkin

Pete, they went to great lengths to try and stop people from pointing things at low flying planes from the bridge I was on - I took this shot of the location using my iPhone...

[​IMG]

9. Hamish Gill

... How did you get the shot with that fence in the way?

10. Chris Dodkin

Took off the lens hood and placed the front element right up to the wire fence, in between the uprights of the metal fence.

Then focused manually to avoid the wire fence screwing with the AF.

The fence is so out of focus that it 'disappears' - although I'm sure it degrades the final image in some way.

Used the trick when shooting motor-sports through safety fences - amazing what you can do with depth of field!

11. Darren Turner

Darren Turner XProPhotographer

maybe chris is 12 foot tall.........haha

great shot, really like your idea here........!!

12. Hamish Gill

.. Ah, yes, I have done that at silverstone ... It is odd how the lens just seems to see though it... I guess it would just lower the contrast?

13. Hamish Gill

Shall I make a poll to decide a winner of last weeks theme?

14. Chris Dodkin

Didn't think we were doing winners - just taking part each week in a theme to get our creative juices going

15. Hamish Gill

Okey dockey :)

16. Chris Dodkin

Yep, I think contrast suffers - if the fencing is dark/black (as in this case) you get less impact on the final image.

You can always spray-paint the fencing black with matt spray paint to help avoid such issues... apparently.... although I wouldn't know myself... if anyone from Rockingham Motor Speedway ever reads this...

17. Larry Bolch

Larry Bolch Member

My commute takes roughly five seconds - the time it take to get across the corridor from mattress to workstation.

[​IMG]

However, there is usually a short detour through the kitchen in order to adjust the blood level in my caffeine system using my newly acquired one cup coffee maker. It works great, so I guess I can now toss the carton out. (on right...)

18. Chris Dodkin

Larry - your office looks like mine - i.e. everything to hand LOL

19. Larry Bolch

Larry Bolch Member

It doubles as a storage room and really is an efficient place to work. In another room, there are two more machines, one dedicated to music production and another to media capture and editing. The one in the picture is my graphics machine - photography and 3D modeling and rendering. Martha Stewart keeps offering to redecorate my place, but has not come through yet. I expect the shock would be too much! ;-D

20. Chris Dodkin

I hear Martha does a good line in prison grey interior decor these days! LMAO!