Critique Welcomed Ye Olde Union Oyster House

Discussion in 'Landscape and Architecture' started by Brian Moore, Jan 9, 2021.

1. Brian Moore

Brian Moore Moderator

I shot this picture on the evening of March 11, 2020. I was in Boston for a business trip. Turned out to be my last business trip.

This image is a slight crop. After I processed the film I saw a piece of litter in the foreground. (My memory on the following point is vague but I think I used a lamppost or some other vertical pole as a tripod, which might have prevented me from framing the image through the viewfinder.) Fortunately the litter was at the very bottom of the frame so I didn't have to crop much. (I quite dislike cropping images.)

Olympus XA2 with Arista EDU 400 film processed in Rodinal and (probably) a lamppostpod.

[​IMG]

Rob MacKillop likes this.
  2. Pete Askew

Pete Askew Admin

The ghostly figures certainly add to the scene. I'm also quite struck by the position of the people's arms. They almost look like props!

Brian Moore likes this.
  3. Brian Moore

Brian Moore Moderator

I guess they are,...in a way. After all, it was my choice when to capture them. :)

Thanks, Pete.

Rob MacKillop likes this.
  4. Milan Vjestica

Milan Vjestica Well-Known Member

The two at the front look like they only have one leg each. :(

I like the grain, it adds a timeless atmosphere to the shot.

Don't worry about cropping, that has been a habit since the dawn of enlargers.

5. Pete Askew

Pete Askew Admin

6. Brian Moore

Brian Moore Moderator

They did. (Like @Pete Askew said,...I like a monopod. :))

Thanks Milan. Appreciate the comments.

7. Rob MacKillop

Rob MacKillop Edinburgh Correspondent

There's a lot to look at in the image beyond the people. I like that. The edge of the pavement has a pleasing curve. These things matter. :)

Brian Moore likes this.
  8. Brian Moore

Brian Moore Moderator

They certainly do. :)
    Thanks Rob.