Leica SL2-S

Discussion in 'Equipment & Media' started by Pete Askew, Aug 9, 2022.

1. Pete Askew

Pete Askew Admin

Well it's about time I gave some impressions on this camera. One thing that is clear is that it reinforces my general dislike of electronic viewfinders. Somehow they detach me from the subject. That is a bit odd as I have no problem with them on a video camera, but I suppose that might be because the end result will be a video!

When I bought the camera I ordered a M-Mount adapter. I did look at the native lenses, but was not inspired by any except, maybe, the 90 mm. Anyway, I tried the camera initially with a 35 Summulux f1:1.4, but that just illustrated how great the Leica M cameras are and how clumsy the SL2 was! I do have a very large number and a wide range of Nikon F-mount lenses and so although a bit disappointed by how uninspiring I was finding the SL2 I thought I better try those and so ordered a Novaflex adapter from SpeedGraphic.

Having got the adapter I thought quite a bit about what to try and decided it would be better to aim for 'different' rather than a standard Nikon lens. A while back I bought a range of Meyer Optik lenses in Nikon fit (http://www.realphotographersforum.com/forum/threads/meyer-optik-görlitz.24275/), Various event (eg a pandemic!) prevented me from using them and so they have been lingering around. The Trioplan 100 was out of its box and so I tried that first. What can I say, a perfectly competent lens, but not especially inspiring (I suspect some of the others would have been a better choice) - see below.

Meyer Optik 100 f.2.8 (at f1:2.8)

Milling Machine-1.jpg

Flower Spike-1.jpg

Detail / resolution is fine.

Plant Zoom-1.jpg

Still uninspired I stuck the camera back in the bag. Today though I was moving the box of the 100/2.8 when I spotted a brochure under it. This reminded me that some time back I had bought a Lomography Petzval 58 in Nikon F mount. I fished that out and decided to see how that worked on the SL2-S.

The first observation was that it was much easier to handle the focus than when mounted on a D3-style camera as the control was easier to reach and so I took it for a spin. And spin it does! But first, here it is mounted on the Leica along with the aperture plates (the f1:1.9 plate is mounted in the lens.)

SL2-S-1.jpg

Flower Swirl 1 (using the f/1.9 aperture plate)

Flower Swirk-1.jpg

Now that's more like it!

Flower Swirl 2 (still at f1:1.9)

Flower Swirk 2-1.jpg

Mind, that Bokeh cried out for a square crop, so:

Blade 1 (still at f1:1.9)

Blade-1.jpg

It even works for selfies! Mind a touch more DoF would have been useful!

Elf-1.jpg

I think this might be the option for me with this camera: to use it for more unusual lenses and I shall explore further!

2. Rob MacKillop

Rob MacKillop Edinburgh Correspondent

The selfie works really well, only it flatters you too much :D

I don’t know, Pete. Your M photography needs no improvement, and I can’t see anything here beyond the swirly stuff of an interesting lens to warrant the expense. So, if you are throwing it out, remember my address…:)

Pete Askew likes this.
  3. Brian Moore

Brian Moore Moderator

Finally we get to see you! You're a lovely man. (Your avatar doesn't do you justice.)

Does the swirl go away with larger apertures on the Petzval lens, Pete?

4. Pete Askew

Pete Askew Admin

Not completely, but yes it is steadily reduced.