New member hello!

Discussion in 'Meet and Greet' started by Wes Hall, Aug 17, 2021.

1. Wes Hall

Wes Hall Member

Hi all, I'm Wes and I've been developing my photography skills as a hobby and erstwhile vintage lens appreciation for the last 18 months or so.

Currently use a Sigma DP1 and a Pentax KS-1, mostly with vintage manual lenses. Can't seem to take to shooting in auto mode, however I'm not averse to testing it for the right subject. And recently started to dabble in film with a Minolta Hi-Matic 7s- lovely metal brick.

I would love to know if there are any other Foveon shooters on here, certainly my favourite sensor type I've come across in a digital.

Aaron Quinn likes this.
  2. Rob MacKillop

Rob MacKillop Edinburgh Correspondent

Hi Wes, and welcome! Good to have you here. I used to have the Sigma Merrills - wonderful cameras! Wish I still had them. I think I got tired of sitting at a computer...

3. Wes Hall

Wes Hall Member

Thanks for the greeting Rob, I hope to add a Merrill or Quatro at some stage as I don't see anyone revisiting the Foveon X3 anytime. I do get your sentiments however about the computer- somewhat liberating with film to just fire and wait for the development.

4. Pete Askew

Pete Askew Admin

Welcome again, Wes. It is nice to have you aboard.

@Brian Moore still shoots with a Merrill I believe and his more recent work has been done by exploiting its IR sensitivity to great effect. I like the Foveon sensors very much, but the Sigma software used to frustrate me. I still have a couple of Merrills tucked away somewhere and should give them a spin again. Mind the same could be said of film, although I did tidy up the darkroom last week so hopefully will do something soon.

5. Wes Hall

Wes Hall Member

Thanks Pete, amazingly I've found the software user friendly for a novice but then again I've never really dabbled with Lightroom or similar until recently when using Rawtherapee and Gimp. It would be lovely to see some work with the Merrill, and thanks for pointing to a member to check out with Brian.

Just got my first picture thread posted- took a moment to get the images to the web size but there now- is it possible to link from a Flickr account?

6. Pete Askew

Pete Askew Admin

It is, by using the embed code. I think there are some instructions for that: I'll be back with them shortly I hope (I either upload directly or use the embed code from Photobucket)..

7. Pete Askew

Pete Askew Admin

8. Chris Bennett

Chris Bennett Well-Known Member

Hi Wes
    Fancy meeting you here! This is the bloke I warned you about, Pete.

Wes Hall and Pete Askew like this.
  9. Wes Hall

Wes Hall Member

...and here I thought I'd paid you off with enough coffee for your caffenol addiction you'd keep the secret!

Chris Bennett likes this.
  10. Dave Farnes

Dave Farnes Well-Known Member

Greetings Wes, great to see a new face in these parts.

Wes Hall likes this.
  11. Wes Hall

Wes Hall Member

Thanks Dave, I'm looking forward to learning and sharing from you all.

12. Chris Bennett

Wes Hall likes this.
  13. Pete Askew

Pete Askew Admin

Thanks, Chris. I enjoyed that, Wes. I have been a bit lapse of late in keeping up with 33MMC. I'll be catching up with Hamish next week though.

Wes Hall and Chris Bennett like this.
  14. Chris Bennett

We can all see that you've fallen behind, Pete. Two whole millimetres, by the look of it. Shocking!

Wes Hall and Pete Askew like this.