Notes From The Top Left Corner

Discussion in 'Competitions, Themes & Blogs' started by Chris Bennett, Apr 13, 2019.

1. Rob MacKillop

Rob MacKillop Edinburgh Correspondent

These are incredibly good, Chris, perfect in every way. It’s the best combination I’ve seen you use. The exposures are perfect, and the compositions are excellent too. More, please!

2. Chris Bennett

Chris Bennett Well-Known Member

Gosh, high praise indeed! Thanks so much Rob.

I've been using a semi stand development so far with the ORWO (on the occasions when I have chosen to use Rodinal) and this is the first time I've just gone with a standard short time 25+1 for 6'30". It's worked rather well.
    I do love this ORWO film and will be buying another 30 metre roll when this one is finished.

Rob MacKillop likes this.
  3. Dave Farnes

Dave Farnes Well-Known Member

They are fantastic pictures, you have captured the emotions so well. Can really feel the happiness in the group shot.

4. Pete Askew

Pete Askew Admin

Way too many to catch up and comment on properly so if you don't mind I will single some out!

I really liked the light festival shots. Beautifully done and I like that you left space around the main subject: that really adds impact I think.

I much prefer the 'cross-processed' film shot. I always use a cross-process simulation as part of my colour rendering so I am probably biased as I like the slightly dream-like quality it can impart.

Love the shot of the lady in the Leopard's-skin hat. And the fizzing wake of brain waves from the young lady on the phone.

5. Chris Bennett

Well, when I posted about the Yashica Electro 35 back in April, I mentioned my intention to move it on to a new owner. That spurred on a thought that, perhaps I ought to clear a few more cameras off shelves and out of cupboards and drawers. Good plan, thoroughly endorsed by the rest of the family!

So...I have done exactly that. So far, I've donated a Spotmatic to a friend who had one that kept failing on him. A great start to the purge!!!

It's a rule of nature that one step forward must be swiftly followed by at least two steps back, so I may possibly have consolidated that excellent beginning to my camera clear-out by adhering to that rule.
    I have absolutely, positively not just gone out and bought another camera.
    Nor, I hasten to add, for the benefit of any doubters who may be reading this, have I just bought two cameras.

Best that we leave it there.

P.S. The Electro 35 is still sitting in my office.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2022
  6. Rob MacKillop

So, you bought three...

Chris Bennett likes this.
  7. Chris Bennett

I am not able to either confirm nor deny that, Rob

8. Rob MacKillop

:D

9. Chris Bennett

One of the cameras that I bought has been converted to record the full spectrum, so enabling me to mount any infrared or ultraviolet filter I may choose. Obviously, it's possible to use it without filters at all. I have acquired a 580nm filter along with a 720nm one and I have been having great fun exploring the possibilities.
    I've being doing things like this with it.

Ashton Memorial 720nm.JPG

Ashton Memorial (720nm filter)

Chapel Lane car park.JPG

Chapel Lane car park (580nm filter)

Landscapes etc - so far, so predictable.
    I've been doing other things too though, that are quite interesting.

Kite Festival Squid.JPG
    Kite Festival Squid (720nm filter)

Kite Festival Punters.JPG

Kite Festival Punters (720nm filter)

10. Rob MacKillop

Wow, again. These are all great. Really love the balloon shot, but the others are interesting too.

11. Dave Farnes

I will second that Wow! Great set, the colours work so well, the last has a post-apocalypse feel to it.

12. Chris Bennett

Thanks gents.
    I'm really getting a boost of creativity from all of this. I love the way it can add massive interest to the most mundane subjects.
    Case in point...

Transformer pole.JPG

...and here's one of my (many) favourite lone trees.

Lone tree, Bleasdale.JPG

Dave Farnes and Rob MacKillop like this.
  13. Brian Moore

Brian Moore Moderator

That balloon shot is out of this world. Wonderful!

14. Chris Bennett

Thanks!
    They call it a kite, but it looks like a balloon to me too.

15. Pete Askew

Pete Askew Admin

Not only coral, jellyfish and cephalopods too!

The first couple of landscapes are very effective, especially the first, but the stars a the 'kites' and the couple. The last B&W is just superb I think.

I need pop into the lab tomorrow, I'll try to dig the UV and IR converted Nikons out to given them a spin in the sunny weather.

16. Chris Bennett

Still having fun with the IR stuff!

[​IMG]

17. Rob MacKillop

Ugh...too much before breakfast!

18. Chris Bennett

Sorry Rob, I didn't intend to put you off your porridge.

19. Rob MacKillop

Post-breakfast reply:

Anything with T.C. In it will always be cool!

20. Dave Farnes

Those bright pop-art colours go so well with the artworks. Agree with Rob, T.C is cool.