Critique Welcomed Perch 22

Discussion in 'Animals and Wildlife' started by Brian Moore, Apr 2, 2015.

1. Brian Moore

Brian Moore Moderator

Newport Beach, California. Olympus XA3 and Arista EDU processed in Rodinal.

[​IMG]

Detlef Kuhl and Ivar D. Larsen like this.
  2. Pete Askew

Pete Askew Admin

Loads of DSPs, a cable coming out (and not going anywhere) , closed up windows. That's a Dodkin monitoring hub you've stumbled on there, Brian.

Love the shadows. Love the grain and tones. And I love the composition. So, all-in-all, an alright picture! ;)

3. Brian Moore

Brian Moore Moderator

By Jove I think you must be correct Pete! A DSH! ;)

Thanks, Pete. Appreciated.

4. Paul Lange

Paul Lange Moderator

That grain is pretty nice and has given me an idea. If I wanted to photograph a blank colour / tone what one with produce the most pronounced grain? My idea is to use the scan of the negative as a texture to get more "real" grain onto a digital photo.

5. Brian Moore

Brian Moore Moderator

Paul if I understand correctly wouldn't you want to determine the film to use for grain? (Personally I have noticed that Ilford HP5 processed in Rodinal produces massive grain, especially when one does the Cha Cha Cha during the agitation phases.)

6. Paul Lange

Paul Lange Moderator

Sorry Brian, I don't get your question?

7. Brian Moore

Brian Moore Moderator

Never mind it Paul. I think I just didn't understand the idea you mentioned.

8. Julian de'Courcy

Julian de'Courcy Well-Known Member

Brilliant image Brian, at your best. Love the composition of everything and the grain is what pulls me to use film, on the seldom occasions I do.

9. Julian de'Courcy

Julian de'Courcy Well-Known Member

Paul Ive had similar ideas, but then wonder if it would be too uniform. I think the grain on film for some reason is very variable. But I may be wrong.

10. Brian Moore

Brian Moore Moderator

Thank you very much, Julian.

11. Rob MacKillop

Rob MacKillop Edinburgh Correspondent

Nice of the authorities to create a perch for the pigeons - although I'm now thinking Pete might be right.

@Chris Dodkin - you've been found out!

12. Chris Dodkin

Chris Dodkin West Coast Correspondent

I can't confirm all deny anything! :D :D :D

Pete Askew and Rob MacKillop like this.
  13. Ivar D. Larsen

Ivar D. Larsen Well-Known Member

Again! Is this Moores residence as of recently and has he problems getting rid of the birds? Actually it looks as if it was taken in the fifties.