Stags During The Rut

Discussion in 'Animals and Wildlife' started by Darren Turner, Oct 23, 2010.

1. Darren Turner

Darren Turner XProPhotographer

was hoping for some action shots but failed......they were kinda scary with that bellowing they make, 2 came running right towards me...to say i nearly sh1t myself would be understatement, they ran around me at last minute thank goodness........

I took a fair few pics, many of which were in the undergrowth so not really that good or visible. these 2 were taken in a area of open woodland i came across so were easily visible & made a better image in my opinion

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Daz

2. Tim Pindar

Tim Pindar Member

The first one is superb!

3. Chris Dodkin

Chris Dodkin West Coast Correspondent

Yep, that first one has everything going for it - very sharp, great light, smooth DOF, you can see the sparkle in the eye - nice!

Impressed with the 100-400, if that's what you used?

4. Milan Vjestica

Milan Vjestica Well-Known Member

The first one is excellent. Glad your pants are clean too!

5. Paul Lange

Paul Lange Moderator

Yep, The 1st pic is the best, very majestic looking beast.

6. Darren Turner

yes i am rather impressed with the 100-400mm, especially the push pull idea..... i have heard that there are some versions that are rather soft, but i Dont think i got one of those, images are in general pin sharp........... however i have a fetish for sharpening even more during my processing lol

Next item on my Must Have list is a mono pod......this thing is heavy.......haha

7. Milan Vjestica

Milan Vjestica Well-Known Member

I have a walking/hiking stick with a threaded attachment to act as a monopod. Less than 20 pounds from Jessops and it has shock absorbtion too! All I need now is a big lens to go with it!

Last edited: Oct 24, 2010
  8. Glen Roberts

Glen Roberts Well-Known Member

First one gets my vote too, great shot.
    As for the Mono-pod, you should have been at Slimbridge WWT reserve in September, you could have had a Benbo mono-pod with Benbo ball & socket head for free!!!

Like a complete pillock I left mine in one of the hides and when I returned for it it was gone:(:(:(.

9. Pete Askew

Pete Askew Admin

10. David Crosbie

David Crosbie Member

love the first one too. I'm a firm supported and frequent user of the 100-400 which has turned out some superb shots for me.

Even wide open at 400mm ive had some incredibly sharp shots.

11. Chris Dodkin

Chris Dodkin West Coast Correspondent

I went with a Manfrotto monopod in Carbon Fiber - very light weight but super strong - and extends enough for me to shoot comfortably at my 6'2" height.

I dangle the 600 f4 and the camera off of it - so there's confidence for you!

12. Darren Turner

omg gutted for ya glen...........have a quiet word with the Mrs she just "might" add it to your xmas present list haha

13. Glen Roberts

I have dropped a couple of hints;), so we'll have to wait and see:confused:.

14. Laurie Parker

Laurie Parker New Member

Do what I do Glen buy whatever it is and then say to other half oh by the way I bought this for xmas for me off you, there ya go wrap it up lol

other half says but its not a surprise then I say er yeah it was a surprise for YOU lol

15. Glen Roberts

I never thought of that Laurie lol.

BTW well done getting one of your shots on Autumnwatch (through the red button):cool:.

16. Laurie Parker

Laurie Parker New Member

lol I always do it Glen, and cheers I was shocked when I seen that through the red button wasn't expecting that at all, some fab images on that gallery aint there

17. Darren Turner

only a welsh woman would come up with an idea like this.................haha

what's this autumn watch melarky about YOU NEVER TOLD ME.........lol

18. Laurie Parker

Laurie Parker New Member

I mentioned it to u otherday on facebook or flikr under one , of your stag photos I think its there somewhere lol - it appeared on autumnwatch red button gallery quite a shock when it popped up on screen lol