The Dog Who Stares at Rocks n' Stuff

Discussion in 'Animals and Wildlife' started by Brian Moore, Sep 10, 2012.

1. Brian Moore

Brian Moore Moderator

The Dog Who Stares at Rocks n' Stuff is Jan. She is a retired sheepdog--about 12 or 13 years old now I think--who belongs to a friend in Applecross. I believe the staring behavior is her way of exercising control over the rock or whatever it is she is staring at. Its as if she has stared down a sheep and has got it just where she wants it. We took Jan into the hills with us a few times and she can't stop herself from herding the sheep she encounters. However, when told to cease she instantly obeys. She has good genes; I'm told her granddaughter was a national champion sheepdog.

What a dog!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Chris Dodkin

Chris Dodkin West Coast Correspondent

Brilliant series Brian - you know, when you're not watching, she makes the rocks move... ;)

The Force is strong in this one

3. Brian Moore

Brian Moore Moderator

The force is with her for sure! ;)

Thanks, Chris.

4. Rob MacKillop

Rob MacKillop Edinburgh Correspondent

Hilarious! Wonderful series. Ha! I just keep smiling :)

5. Brian Moore

Brian Moore Moderator

Excellent! :) Thanks Rob.

6. Lesley Jones

Lesley Jones Otherwise know as Zooey

It is a wonderful set Brian. The fourth one with the apple is just superb! :)

7. Hamish Gill

Hamish Gill Well-Known Member

Brilliant! Thats really put a smile on my face!
    Beautiful dog too!

8. Brian Moore

Brian Moore Moderator

Much appreciated, Lesley. Thank you.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm glad to hear that, Hamish. And yes, she is a beautiful dog. Thanks Hamish.

9. Mark Grant

Mark Grant Canon user

Brilliant, reminds me of our holidays in Scotland where the owner has Border Collies that are fun to watch.

10. Kev Pugh

Kev Pugh Well-Known Member

I love dog watching they are so true and honest, these shots are a superb story of a dawg that is truly an enigma one that can stare out stones.....................and apples :) great series Brian love um all...........:)

11. Brian Moore

Brian Moore Moderator

Thanks Mark. That's what Jan is of course,...Border Collie.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks, Kev. Much appreciated. Dugs certainly can bring us much pleasure, can't they Kev?

12. Julian de'Courcy

Julian de'Courcy Well-Known Member

Funny, wonderful, superb set of magical images.

13. Brian Moore

Brian Moore Moderator

Thanks, Julian. Much appreciated!

14. Pete Askew

Pete Askew Admin

Wonderful series. I like the fact that you just see the first one while reading the text and then they go on and get more bizarre as the they go. Have you seen, 'The Men Who Stare at Goats'?

[​IMG]

15. Brian Moore

Brian Moore Moderator

Thanks, Pete. No,...I haven't seen that film. But I was aware of it and it was the first thing I thought of when I became acquainted with Jan's interesting behavior. Thanks again Pete!

16. Beth Anthony

Beth Anthony Well-Known Member

wow. have you tried teaching him tricks? lol. that's pretty funny.

17. Brian Moore

Brian Moore Moderator

No Beth. Didn't try to teach Jan any tricks. She's too smart for that normal dog behavior anyway. :D Thanks for the comments, Beth.