The Rule of Thirds is Ruling Me

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Brian Moore, Apr 21, 2021.

1. Brian Moore

Brian Moore Moderator

When I use my binoculars I automatically adjust the thing I want a closer look at to the bottom third of the view. (Where I live now I use the binoculars often to get a closer look at birds or aquatic creatures. The past week or so I've had the binos in front of my eyes more than I ever had in the 20 years or so I've owned them. Never considered the Rule of Thirds a binocular thing.) Anyone else do this automatically?

2. Pete Askew

Pete Askew Admin

Not that I'd noticed, but I will be paranoid about it from now! :mad: I do have a tendency to line things up in my line of sight (I guess that won't be a surprise!) and I seem to have an internal 'spirit level' that can be very annoying; if something is a touch off I spot it immediately, and it drives me nuts until I have rectified it (living in a house built in the early 17th century can be a bit trying I can tell you!).

3. Chris Bennett

Chris Bennett Well-Known Member

I have never done that with a pair of binoculars, but I have never been very good with rules anyway.
    I know what you mean about old houses, Pete. The thing I have found is that when nothing in the structure is flat, level or straight, and you put something into it that is, it always looks wrong.

4. Rob MacKillop

Rob MacKillop Edinburgh Correspondent

I don't always have the rule of thirds in mind, but do often make slight adjustments for what I consider balance, and sometimes that turns out to be the rule of thirds. But I wouldn't say I'm a slave to it. We use binocs a lot these days, with the garden and woodland birds in full song, and I can't say I've noticed me taking so much care over viewing them as when lining up a shot. But our binocs are not very good, and one day I'd like to invest in a good pair.

5. Brian Moore

Brian Moore Moderator

It can indeed! :p

Excellent! :p

Good! Slavery is abhorrent!

Rob MacKillop and Pete Askew like this.
  6. Brian Moore

Brian Moore Moderator