Thyme and Rhyme

Discussion in 'People & Portraits' started by Wes Hall, Sep 20, 2021.

1. Wes Hall

Wes Hall Active Member

I've been lucky with a few friends starting up regular open mic nights, being performers one and all. This has given me a chance to develop me portrait and people photography skills, particularly in difficult lighting with a stubbornness in me that doesn't want to explore high ISO ranges.

The goal I had with these shots was to capture the intensity and inner artist, reflecting how I perceived them performing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Dave Farnes

Dave Farnes Well-Known Member

That is a fine set, you have captured the depth of feeling they are putting into their music.

3. Wes Hall

Wes Hall Active Member

Thanks Dave, I've shared these with all the artists of the night, hopefully they get some use from them.

It was an interesting experience using the tiny Russian Industar 50 and Super Takumar 135, both have a max aperture of 3.5, which still allowed plenty of light capture at low ISO, taught me once again you don't need a super fast pens to shoot indoors .

4. Pete Askew

Pete Askew Admin

I agree with Dave, a very fine set and you have captured some great moments.

Wes Hall likes this.
  5. Brian Moore

Brian Moore Moderator

Wonderful low light stuff Wes. I think the first one, of the young lady singer, is a superb portrait.

Wes Hall likes this.
  6. Wes Hall

Wes Hall Active Member

Many thanks Pete and Brian, I've hope these made it back to the respective artists. The first portrait shot here was also one of my faves, it came about midway into the night, I'd got more of a feel for the lighting and moving around the cafe it was in.

Brian Moore likes this.