You Want Fries With That?

Discussion in 'Street' started by Chris Bennett, Jan 13, 2019.

1. Chris Bennett

Chris Bennett Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

2. Rob MacKillop

Rob MacKillop Edinburgh Correspondent

Ha! Brilliant! The guy on the right really makes it. Superb.

3. Chris Bennett

Thanks Rob.

4. Brian Moore

Brian Moore Moderator

Great shot, Chris. I would disagree with Rob, however. For me what makes this image so special is the obscured face and the hand emerging from the smoke.

Rob MacKillop likes this.
  5. Chris Bennett

Thanks.
    Yes, it was the hand position that made me choose that image out of several similar ones.

6. Roshni Patel

Roshni Patel Active Member

7. Chris Bennett

Thanks Roshni.

8. Rense Haveman

Rense Haveman Well-Known Member

I like it a lot! Great timing....

9. Chris Bennett

Thank you Rense.

10. Chris Bennett

I was a little amused with an event that occurred just before I took this photo.

I was sitting on a bench, looking at the comings and goings in this busy market square, when I noticed the smoke and steam coming from the stall. As I moved my attention more towards it, a young guy was being served some of the food. He crossed the square and sat on the next bench to me, perhaps ten metres away, and began to eat. I thought nothing more of him until a few minutes later when he appeared in my peripheral vision.

I had become engrossed in the changing details of the chef and his gear, the smoke and the light behind him. As the photo shows, it was a great scene, full of interest (and vivid colour too, as it happens). I didn't pay any attention to him until I heard a voice ask a question about my lens. This turned out to be by way of an introduction, in order that he could make a portrait of me.

He's a street photographer!

I just thought it odd that he seemed so oblivious to the compelling (to me) scene in front of us - one that he had been a part of just a few minutes before - yet some ugly git sitting on the sidelines was so much more interesting that he had to take a photo of him.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
  11. Chris Bennett

As I said in the post above, there was some vivid colour on hand in this scene. Here's another shot with the evidence.

[​IMG]

12. Mark J. Allen

Mark J. Allen Member

Love it

13. Pete Askew

Pete Askew Admin

Excellent shots, Chris. I too like the smoke element very much, but the colour shot is more compelling I find. I like the back-story too and I guess the 'street photographer' was probably drawn to your intense interest in the scene at the stall. I think I would have been. Did you get to see his shot of you? And I trust you recruited him to RPF! ;)

14. Chris Bennett

I had mentally homed in on the hand being the most intereting part of the image. As I thought that small detail looked so good in b&w, I guess it made me forget about the rest of the scene.
    I went back and looked at them in colour and now realise that they are both good in their own way. I feel neither is better, just diferent, if that makes sense?