Did Covid Kill This Spirit?

Rob MacKillop

Edinburgh Correspondent
boyfriend.jpg

ecocide.jpg

German tourists having lunch outside a bar. Looks tasty, thinks the kid!
food for thought.jpg

future.jpg

less.jpg

2019 Climate Demo in Edinburgh. What are these kids doing now? And what are today's kids of the same age doing now?

I used the first iteration of the Leica Monochrom, which I got cheap as the sensor had a problem, creating black spots on the images, which I removed. It was actually my favourite digital camera, as it looked less digital than any other I'd used.

Living where we do we don't see many protests. Actually we haven't seen any since we moved here. Saw one or two in Seattle and there were protests in Los Angeles from time-to-time. Got some pictures of a "Me Too" demonstration in LA a few years ago. Massive crowd! Also got some pictures from a protest in Seattle against Ethiopian government activities in Eritrea. That one was relatively small, though.

Beautiful photos, important documentation.

I myself participated in a Fridays for Future march just before Covid. I took a day off (perhaps I was the only one who did it in my entire university) to be there. And stupidly in the evening I went to work for free to be in the square again to publicize our work. Maybe I was the oldest person who was marching, but I was moved to see with what passion and honesty all those young or very young people participated.
Covid did not kill those hopes, what killed them next were the contingency plans of the states and Europe to revive the economy (we have seen this even in these days with a Europe that goes back to favor pesticides in agriculture, or with unrestrained cementing in our cities). Those young people, to whom so many promises were made, are now betrayed and depressed. And so am I.

Last edited:
Beautiful photos, important documentation.

I myself participated in a Fridays for Future march just before Covid. I took a day off (perhaps I was the only one who did it in my entire university) to be there. And stupidly in the evening I went to work for free to be in the square again to publicize our work. Maybe I was the oldest person who was marching, but I was moved to see with what passion and honesty all those young or very young people.
Covid did not kill those hopes, what killed them next were the contingency plans of the states and Europe to revive the economy (we have seen this even in these days with a Europe that goes back to favor pesticides in agriculture, or with unrestrained cementing in our cities). Those young people, to whom so many promises were made, are now betrayed and depressed. And so am I.
I am genuinely concerned for the next generation.

We've had a few pro-Palestine and pro-Israel marches

I do not know if the news has circulated globally, but, here in Italy in recent days, the peaceful protests of many young people against the war in the Gaza Strip have been suppressed in blood by police batons. Meanwhile, Macron wants to send troops to Ukraine, Putin threatens the use of the atomic bomb.
I am an atheist, but I have to give the Catholic pope credit for talking about World War III going on many months ago. Politicians seem to follow other agendas, other masters.

I agree with all the sentiments expressed here. I loved the energy of the youth during that pre-Covid year. It was also very close to the campaign for Scottish Independence, which I was for (anything is better than Wasteminster!) and many young people were also for. Of course, the establishment told lies, made promises they had no intention of honouring, and we Scots are still tied to Wasteminster, also out of Europe, and the new oil fields which the Scottish Government refused to plunder have now been taken over by Wasteminster, and the youth are disenfranchised, with talk of military conscription in the news every week, lambs to the slaughter yet again. I, Gianluca, am also an atheist, and also fear for my daughter’s generation and the generations to follow hers. They need to shout and claim their future, but seem to be consumed with gender politics, which might be a good cause, I don’t know, but it will not stop wars and the decimation of the planet’s resources. Aaaaannnnddd so on…

I miss the spirit I saw in those kids that day in 2019. Haven’t seen it since.

Here in Canada, there are constant protests on both sides of the Israel/Hamas conflict. There were a lot of pro-Ukrainian rallies before the Middle East situation broke out, but it seems that people can only handle one issue at a time, so Ukraine is on the back burner now.

I don't think the spirit of protest in young people has been specifically crushed by COVID, but I do think that the period of isolation caused by lockdowns has in general harmed their ability to interact with others. And people of all ages seem to have been sucked in to extreme positions where they consider those with different opinions to their own are an enemy that should not be interacted with.

Here’s hoping things will change for the better, but I admit I have lost faith in humanity. I see nothing but Hell ahead of us. My generation has failed, but I will try to help and support the youth if I can. But their current politics will not help them, I’m afraid.

The new UK anti-protest laws also do nothing to help the situation. I'm afraid I'm no more optimistic than you, Rob.
Wasteminster... I like that term. I was born south of the border (though II have Scottish blood in me), but I'm with you on the independence issue. I'm not naturally one for division, but the way things are now...

I was fortunate enough to be able to attend the September Strike down on the Isle of Wight (my home until '06). I managed to get a few pics un between carrying my placard. There was a very positive, cohesive vibe on that day as we marched from Newport town centre around the town, ending up outside County Hall, where the children delivered their message.

Attachments

• IMG_5064.jpeg
    IMG_5064.jpeg
    943.4 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_5065.jpeg
    IMG_5065.jpeg
    946.9 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_5066.jpeg
    IMG_5066.jpeg
    921.8 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_5067.jpeg
    IMG_5067.jpeg
    941.5 KB · Views: 4
Great location to have a camera. I expect you have a ton of good shots of the Needles.
Thanks, Gord, yes. Regarding the Needles, I have one or two images of them as seen from the water whilst out on a boat trip around 20-ish years ago. My Dad was part of the maintenance crew who looked after the old fortifications on the Island back in the mid 1950s, the Needles Battery being one of them.

Great series, love it really. But in another Scotsman's land, up in the north-west, people are more humble and sedated due to the Scandinavian flair. in the vicinity. 😁 No horns mind you.
Yeah you’re right Ivar. The descendants of the Scandinavians up this way have pretty much shed their horned hats. Which is a shame really because I find it quaint and charming that your countrymen still wear them. 😊

Back