Is this taking people portraits too far?

Rob MacKillop

Edinburgh Correspondent
After my mother-in-law died I wanted to make a portrait of her from the feelings I had about her. She had never wanted me to photograph her at all, as her late husband was a keen photographer, and all her portraits are by him. Fair enough, it's kind of nice. In her youth she was a beautiful woman, and retained something of that in her early 80s. Despite that, she would often show me an abrasive edge, which is something I also wanted to include. So, I started thinking that it could still be possible to make a 'portrait' of her without her being there. And this is what I came up with. I'm happy to say my wife likes it...I tried to submit it to a local amateur show, but they refused it as it didn't fit into their Portrait category.

I used the first iteration of the Leica Monochrom series, but with the ancient lens from my Leica III.

roses-18a-300dpi-small.jpg

Last edited:
It's hard to believe they wouldn't accept it into the Portrait category. Philistines!

This image is your common or garden MacKillop still life. Which is to say quite excellent indeed,...and a lovely portrait of yer wife's maw.

I remember this wonderful photo of yours, Rob. And now the story you tell about it makes it more interesting and causes me memories of my mother-in-law. As you do, one must have great respect for these memories for those people who have enriched - in ways that have not always been one-way, sometimes conflicting - our personal histories. Clearly, now that you explain it, your photo looks like a portrait, but I believe that in photo shows the allowable dose of poetry admitted does not contemplate the word "like".

Well, thanks for all the supportive comments, gentlemen.

I'd like to open this up wider. Can you do a portrait of someone - dead or alive - without their physical qualities being in the image? Choose someone, and then try to imagine how such a portrait might look, and perhaps try to do that. We could start a craze for a whole new genre here!

I am not equipped for this new challenge, but I can start thinking about it. That sounds like a good idea for us to engage in. Digging deeper into memory. Più giù, più giù, ancora più giù.

Cool concept, Rob! It's far outside the bounds of what I normally shoot, and I'll be burning off a lot of whatever brain cells I still have...

After my mother-in-law died I wanted to make a portrait of her from the feelings I had about her. She had never wanted me to photograph her at all, as her late husband was a keen photographer, and all her portraits are by him. Fair enough, it's kind of nice. In her youth she was a beautiful woman, and retained something of that in her early 80s. Despite that, she would often show me an abrasive edge, which is something I also wanted to include. So, I started thinking that it could still be possible to make a 'portrait' of her without her being there. And this is what I came up with. I'm happy to say my wife likes it...I tried to submit it to a local amateur show, but they refused it as it didn't fit into their Portrait category.

I used the first iteration of the Leica Monochrom series, but with the ancient lens from my Leica III.

View attachment 18925
I can only say, that it is a great portrait due to your fine story Rob. But standing alone, it hardly is envisioned as a portrait I suppose 😇

Back