Critique Welcomed Two Wheels Good

Extraordinary light, caught with great care at its best moment. And great patience, I suppose, waiting for the ideal shot, lurking in a carefully chosen observation post.

And great patience, I suppose, waiting for the ideal shot, lurking in a carefully chosen observation post.
Yes, you're quite right Gianluca.
The first one wasn't so bad, I was on my own and could take my time. For the second my wife was with me and was getting distinctly fed up with me waiting on a cold winter late afternoon for just the right cyclist to pass. There's a moral to be drawn there (but don't tell her).

Yes, you're quite right Gianluca.
The first one wasn't so bad, I was on my own and could take my time. For the second my wife was with me and was getting distinctly fed up with me waiting on a cold winter late afternoon for just the right cyclist to pass. There's a moral to be drawn there (but don't tell her).

We have all experienced what it is like to take pictures in the company of someone who does not take pictures. You have my full understanding.

love the framing and light on the first, definitely my favorite of the two.
Thanks, Beth.
Much as I love the effect of the cyclist's shadow leaping out of the bottom left of the frame in the second, if I really had to choose, the traditional framing of the first would win the day. I mean, framing the subject through trees? You can't get more traditional than that can you?

I love the contrast in these, Peter.
Thanks, Brian.
It's just the level of contrast that I like and was regularly achieving with that particular film and developer combination. Lately I've been playing with other films and developers but not getting the same effect. After some particularly disappointing shots taken last weekend I revisited those to use as a benchmark. While I was at it I thought I'd share them. Glad you liked them.

Although FP4-125 is a long time friend of mine, I never shot it at a higher ISO. Lower, yes, but higher, never. I am pleasantly surprised at how good these came out. Really good contrast, and I am not the only one in here saying that.

Both are really good, but the second has something that I really like. The shadows create an impression of bike floating or taking off. The skewed bike shadow and the slightly upwards angle of the pool's margin probably help feeding this illusion.

Thanks for posting!​

Although FP4-125 is a long time friend of mine, I never shot it at a higher ISO. Lower, yes, but higher, never. I am pleasantly surprised at how good these came out. Really good contrast, and I am not the only one in here saying that.

Both are really good, but the second has something that I really like. The shadows create an impression of bike floating or taking off. The skewed bike shadow and the slightly upwards angle of the pool's margin probably help feeding this illusion.

Thanks for posting!​
Thanks, Julian.
FP4 at 200 ISO is certainly worth a try.
Conversely I've never tried it lower. I must do that as I've always found results from Pan F too smooth for my taste.

Back