birds in a bush #185, 186

Male and female house finch... I had a yellow-rump warbler show up in my yard the other day (he must have been lost since I never have them). The male just wouldn't stay still. Even at 1/1000th I was getting subject movement.

You can tell they're a couple ;)

Male and female house finch... I had a yellow-rump warbler show up in my yard the other day (he must have been lost since I never have them). The male just wouldn't stay still. Even at 1/1000th I was getting subject movement.

You can tell they're a couple ;)
I appreciate the ID. I thought they were house finches but hadn't gotten conclusive on them. We have 6 different species of birds that call our backyard home. I'm hamstrung though. These photos were done through a kitchen window. I have found 1/1250 to be a minimum, although I turned the speed down to enhance the movement for these. I can't shoot hummingbirds under 1/1750.

We have male and female doves with 4 juveniles. Although the neighborhood is full of Mockingbirds, only one calls our backyard home. Mockingbirds don't get along with finches or sparrows, but ours has taken a liking to me and routinely gives me a high five (or the bird equivalent) when he sees me. It is humbling...

Back