From behind the Iron Curtain - Werra 1a

Chris Dodkin

West Coast Correspondent
My Werra 1a purchase from EBAY has arrived here in the US - it's in mint condition.

In fact, I'm pretty sure it's brand new and has never been used - there is no dust anywhere, no marks or scratches, no base plate marks - nothing - the leather case is mint and the strap has never been worn.

So somewhere in Bulgaria there seems to be a stockpile of 50s Werra cameras that are brand new. :confused:

8442170924_30e025dc07_b.jpg

This is the camera model that my dad purchased in the mid 50s - he had just come pack from Canada where he'd seen the Kodak 35mm cameras in common use, and he wanted something similar for himself.

He spotted this camera advertised in a Sunday newspaper, and was attracted to the Zeiss Tessar lens - he'd never heard of Werra, but he'd certainly heard of Zeiss!

Dad remembers paying about 20 quid for the camera, which would be over 400 quid in todays money - so not cheap.

He bought the camera and also a hand held light meter - A Gossen Sixon Dual, which I remember playing with as a kid - the roll-top cover used to fascinate me. :)

I went ahead and found one on EBAY to go with the Werra.

8448516584_28cd1f9382_b.jpg

This made a nice compact kit - you needed the meter as the Werra had no meter of it's own. In fact the Werra was very very basic, with no rangefinder, just a viewfinder without even any frame lines.

Dad commented that 'you never knew what was going to be in frame' - so it clearly presented a challenge!

8448551038_7427f5dc27_b.jpg

The camera has an attractive textured finish, in green, with a screw-on lens cover, which reverses to be a lens hood. It always reminded me of a Thermos Flask cup! :D

The camera appears to have no film advance - because this is accomplished by rotating the green ring at the base of the lens through 45 Degrees.

8447423389_d286a19ffc_b.jpg

This does keep the camera design really clean - and I like the whole concept - it works really well.

You can also see that all of the other controls are on the lens - so from the top down you see aperture, distance (with DOF scale), and shutter speed including Bulb - max shutter speed tops out at 1/250.

The lens is a fast f/2.8 Tessar - 50mm, and I'm looking forward to seeing how the image quality looks.

8448554012_1ed22dd6c4_b.jpg

The other controls are similar to the 60s Rollei 35 I purchased recently, in that they are located on the base plate of the camera - you have the tripod/case mount in the center, a film rewind button, and then the film rewind dial and a frame counter dial.

8447427731_939c539e5a_b.jpg

To load and unload film, you unscrew the tripod mount and the whole lower section of the camera slides off - again, copied by Rollei a decade later.

It's a great looking camera, light weight (cheaper East German Production), but the shutter is smooth and quiet, and the build quality of the lens looks excellent.

8448516806_23bb37f015_b.jpg

The Gossen Meter is clearly rather well used, but still works.

It's a clever meter, allowing both incident and reflective metering - you simply roll over the case cover to measure incident light, and roll it out of the way for reflected light.

8448514740_3c93210cd1_b.jpg

ISO is set on a side dial, max 200 - it's a dual scale though (hence the name DUAL) allowing a setting in DIN if preferred.

The meter uses a Selenium photo cell, so no batteries are required - it just works!

To use it - you rotate the adjustment dial until the value of the analog scale matches the number in the small window on the right.

In my picture, the window shows 4 - so assuming that this matched the light meter reading (which it doesn't in the shot sorry!) then you read off the aperture/shutter combinations from the top scale - so 1/500 @ f/1.4 for example.

So, I'm all set and ready to follow in my father's footsteps and shoot with the Werra - He used to shoot mostly slide film, so I'll try some Fuji 100 ASA I have, as well as some B&W Ilford.

I'll post the results as I get them shot and processed.

Last edited:
That's absolutely pristine, lovely clean lines. The camera almost looks too simple - like they forgot to add important features, instead of hiding them away.

I know looks don't say much about a camera per see but workmanship and style does tend to give an indication of the care and thought that has gone into the design and manufacture. That is one good looking object, very stylish indeed.

Thanks for posting this. A fascinating design. The lens cap / hood is downright clever, as the the film advance. As you say, basic, but still carefully thought out.

What I really love about the story is that you chased down the light meter too. Good for you.

Enjoy.

Thanks Stephen - It's wonderful that we live in a time, where I can buy stuff my dad used in the 50s, sourced from all over the world, without leaving the sofa :D

Now, about that MG T he used to drive..... ;)

It is wonderful.

But please let's avoid talk of MGs. As a youngster I spent a good deal of my life in them; late 60s, early 70s. My Dad owned the key franchise for selling them in the Toronto area. I loved being invited to ride along on deliveries. There was a lot of business from the NE states as well.

Remember when people actually delivered things?

Cool camera...nice story and write up. My dad was into photography because of the work he did...I remember all the cool cameras he brought home. One of the original Polaroids was one in particular that fascinated us. It sure is tempting...

Thanks Glenn - Polaroid might be tricky for film these days, I think Brian has had some success though.

Well my test roll didn't happen - took a lovely set of shots of a 50s diner in LA, took the camera to the lab - rewound the film there and opened the back of the camera - only to find that the film hadn't rewound :(

I had been rewinding for what seemed like ages - but without a crank on the Werra, maybe I just didn't wind the little wheel long enough. Sure felt loose enough though - very odd.

8447427731_939c539e5a_b.jpg

Gutted

This never happens with digital! :D

Onwards and upwards - will try again with another roll

Yep - that's what I figured Larry - so I put the back on and tried again

Opened the back and still the film was not rewound :(

After the third attempt I gave up the film as probably toast!

No idea what I did wrong - other than just not winding for long enough

Ah well - new film loaded and we'll try again tomorrow

I'd use that first film to diagnose the issue ... Now you think it's toast, see why it's not rewinding with the back off etc(?)
ive a couple of duff rolls knocking about I use in old cameras for this purpose ...

I did exactly that Hamish, and I figured it out.

The issue is all due to the fact that the Werra only has a rewind knob and not a fold-out crank winder.

What was happening was I would grab the knob and turn, all this did was start to tension the film in the can, like winding up a spring.

Then I'd let go so I could re-grip for another turn.

As I let go, the spring-like tension in the film just unwound the film in the can, basically I was back where I started - but because the knob has no markings on it, I didn't even notice it moving backwards.

I wasn't looking for it either - I kind of expected it to just stay where I'd left it!

So all I was doing was tensioning and releasing the film in the can - and never winding any of the exposed film back in

So when I opened the back - the film was all still out! :(

Having figured this out - I put a roll of Provia in the Werra, shot some test images, and then rewound it carefully, grasping the rewind knob so it didn't unravel each time.

It took ages, and gave me finger cramp! :mad:

But success was mine - and I got the film rewound and off to the lab for dev and scan - should get it back today.

So now I know, it should not be an issue - other than it being a real pain to use

I can see why most cameras went for the fold-out crank design - way easier and faster.

Hi Chris,

How did you get on with the Werra? Have you put a few more rolls through it? if so, what's your thoughts?

I have my Dads old Werra matic here now, I just need to get around to having a play with it.

Back