My Next Guitar

If I think about counting guitars, I think I could count them on one hand...except when I start thinking about partial guitars. Parts probably don't count for counting.

But if I think about counting cameras...impossible. I don't even know where they all are.

I used to have a vague idea which cameras I have more than one of.

I don't like to think about it.

Thank you for the welcome.

Uh-oh...this is one of those forums with trophies, but at least it does it's own accounting.

I forgot, in my last post, there is also the associated topic of 'how many lenses? ...also complicated by the difficulties with fractions.

I just noticed Rob's post was in 2015. I...

Uh-oh...this is one of those forums with trophies, but at least it does it's own accounting.

I forgot, in my last post, there is also the associated topic of 'how many lenses? ...also complicated by the difficulties with fractions.

I just noticed Rob's post was in 2015. I...
The recent influx of new members responding to some very old posts has provided us to see these old posts again and in a couple of cases I've seen responses that I had missed first time around. (eg,..Pete's wonderful posing of the Adult Fungas Gnat portrait.) So it's all good! :)

Maybe it has a longer history, but I found (working backwards), several references to guitars called 'After Legnani'. C.F. Martin apprenticed with Johann Georg Stauffer in Vienna. Both of them made guitars with the fingerboard tapering at the sound hole. Not all 'After Legnani' or 'Legnani Model' instruments have the fingerboard taper at the soundhole.

Here is a modern-built mid-late 19th c. style Legnani

I read there were two Legnani's a few decades apart. One was a guitarist, well-enough known to undoubtedly have been a guitarist, but not known to have been a luthier. The other was a violin-maker, with no known signed guitars. I have lost track of where I found these 'certain uncertainties', but there appears to be uncertainty about who actually built the Legnani guitar referred to in later builds as 'After Legnani'.

I don't remember if the Stauffer build or the Martin build had the fingerboard floating above the guitar top. My no-name student guitar has it firmly glued right to the top. Stauffer, IIRC, made an innovative adjustable neck long before Taylor, so that may have been one reason for the floating fingerboard.

Some guitars with that tapered fingerboard had an asymmetrical headstock that I believe must have been inspiration for both Leo Fender's Strat and Merle Travis' sketch handed Paul Bigsby as a 'design' for a custom guitar. But some Americans seem to have naively declared both of these modern guitar designs to be spontaneously inspired. If you look at Balkan domra and tambura/tamburitzas there are scrolled headstocks with the asymmetrical sideways scroll. I read somewhere Leo Fender had a childhood friend who was from one of the Yugoslavian regions where this style instrument was common. Hmmm...did he see one of those folk instruments?

But most European-originated string instruments have older heritage dating back many more centuries to Persia and nearby.

I lost interest at that point. But I learned that the German musical instrument industry in and around Markneukirchen seems to have inspired the German camera industry...subcontractor companies made components they were good at, and another put together the final product. Many of the components had no names. That's not true of German complete cameras or shutters, just the non-machinery components. Different trade unions/guilds?

One of the most interesting (to me) discontinuous continuities (or continuous discontinuities?) in string instruments is the heritage connecting Appalachian Hammered Dulcimers with the Hungarian Cimbalom ('invented' in 1874, but associated with the older psaltery and kannun/qanun. http://www.cimbalom.ca/cimbalom_history.aspx

Guitars that take pictures? (Close but not quite...)

Coming commission guitar(s) for someone's birthday. I cannot find the original listing on the Comins website, possibly because only a small number of Comins 'Aperture' models were built.

Bill Comins utilized an iris/diaphragm/aperture mechanism to allow the sound hole opening area to be adjustable.

Interestingly, he chased down patent ownership to pay a licensing or royalty (or whatever) for the use of the. I was surprised it was still due.

Here is a photo of a Comins Aperture guitar. I don't know how long the link will be valid, but with a little digging, something usually appears...I think I also saw an online magazine article that discussed it a bit more, perhaps resulting from an interview with the luthier.

There is a dead link later in this article under 'for more info', but this does explain most of it with (at this time) 15 photos, including the iris adjusted to...uh, various f-holes stops...?

As with many DIY iris projects, a shutter is not easily fit.

Ok, I'm really stretching the camera illusion a bit too far.

I have a couple of iris mechanisms that open up to nearly 76 mm/3" (inches, not seconds...no shutter included), that I bought from Surplus Shed in Pennsylvania. Comins is near Philadelphia, PA. I was born (or hatched, I don't remember,) <50 km from there.

Some kind of connection implied...

Rob, did you ever get that 10 string?
Once upon a time I had 19 but these days I'm down to 3 guitars, 3 mandolins, 1 mandola and 1 bouzouki and 2 amplifiers.
One of the mandolins is over 100 years old and has been "in the family" for 60 or 70 years and I don't know what to do with it (as in: which of my young, unplaying kin do I ask to take it). The mandola is also pretty old (Gibson circa 1920 or so). I'd like to figure out what to do with all this stuff so when the time comes my wife doesn't have to.front2.jpg002_vegacat_4_2.gif

The 1920 mandola may have two 'resume' qualities that could mean substantial monetary value. 1) if it's a Lloyd Loar Florentine design and 2) also credit to LL, may have tap-tuned wood components from the days when A was not 440 Hz (428?) before Gibson got tired of this laborious practice & just wanted to replicate dimensionally.

Not sure if I read it in the Roger Siminoff Tap Tuning book or elsewhere, but the 428-Hz A tap tuned mandolins are said to have a darker tone the A440-era instruments don't have. Loar-era F-style mandolins have fetched insane prices at auction.

Or it's all hogwash. But I think there being some science behind the story makes it more rational than legend.

Murray Leshner

:mad:)
Then Orville was probably happy.

Gibson vs. Loar
Selmer vs. Maccaferri

Factory relationships with manufacturing not liking the designer's aim for perfection (at other costs).

Not sure who was right but I lean toward the instrument designers.

But Maccaferri also became infatuated with molded plastic (guitars, ukuleles, clothespins).

Back up to Ivar's response a few posts ago...I think he linked to a video of Rob with the 10-stringer.
For some reason I just thought that was a generic 10-string video. Very Nice!
My playing is somewhat different.
Here's me and another guy with our version of the Beatles "Nowhere Man"

Guitars that take pictures? (Close but not quite...)

Coming commission guitar(s) for someone's birthday. I cannot find the original listing on the Comins website, possibly because only a small number of Comins 'Aperture' models were built.

Bill Comins utilized an iris/diaphragm/aperture mechanism to allow the sound hole opening area to be adjustable.

Interestingly, he chased down patent ownership to pay a licensing or royalty (or whatever) for the use of the. I was surprised it was still due.

Here is a photo of a Comins Aperture guitar. I don't know how long the link will be valid, but with a little digging, something usually appears...I think I also saw an online magazine article that discussed it a bit more, perhaps resulting from an interview with the luthier.

There is a dead link later in this article under 'for more info', but this does explain most of it with (at this time) 15 photos, including the iris adjusted to...uh, various f-holes stops...?

As with many DIY iris projects, a shutter is not easily fit.

Ok, I'm really stretching the camera illusion a bit too far.

I have a couple of iris mechanisms that open up to nearly 76 mm/3" (inches, not seconds...no shutter included), that I bought from Surplus Shed in Pennsylvania. Comins is near Philadelphia, PA. I was born (or hatched, I don't remember,) <50 km from there.

Some kind of connection implied...
No one seems to have noticed the Comins 'Aperture' literally has a camera diaphragm in the sound hole to allow the sound hole area to be changed like an f-stop, instead of f-holes.

Back