What Price, Loyalty?

Brian Moore

Seal Beach, California. January 2011.

I was tempted for a moment to put this image in the "still life" category, such was the statue-like stillness of this little fellow as he awaited his master. I passed him ten minutes earlier and he was just as you see him in this image, taken ten minutes later.

There was not enough light for the Vivitar PN2011, but it's all I had with me. It was before I flipped the lens.

Memories 200 ASA film (Re-branded Fuji.)

Last edited:
This is fabulous Brian. I have just bought a book of photography by Ernst Haas (Colour Corrections) and this reminds me a bit of those and the paintings of Edward Hopper. I love the painterly quality of the light and this is my favourite photo of yours to date. Composition, flow, light and colour just perfect.

Wow, Pete. Thank you. (I was a little familiar with Hopper's work, but not the work of Haas. What a great photographer he was. I'm deeply honored to be mentioned in such company.)

Hamish,...thank you very much also.

It strikes me that the scene would have been quite difficult to expose properly and the image is as good as it could have possibly been with what you had. In fact I think the grain really works well. I see what you mean about Hopper-ish likeness to the image.

The serendipity of photography strikes me here. It's often so much about luck, isn't it? Thanks very much, Paul.

Last edited:
Back